Well i liked the color of my monti before.

puffer32

Heres a pic when i first rescued it from my lfs. Then one about a month later, and one of now. I liked the colors much better in 2nd pic, now its a dark yellow and the purple polops are not very purple anymore. It appears very healthy, jusy not colorful like it was, is it getting to much light? Its about 3/4 up in the tank under 500 watts of MH.

rabid frog

Probably too much light. I find that usually when I put anything with purple too high up in my tank, it tends to do the brownish/purple thing. You probably know what I am talking about. Try moving it to the bottom, maybe slightly shaded and see if the colors purk back up?
It is also possible that it is still adjusting to your tank. Sometimes when I introduce a new sps to my tank they almost always lose the color they were and slowly color back up over a few weeks. HTH
Joey

reefreak29

Originally Posted by puffer32
I think it was getting to much light also, so i moved it down. Thanks.

reefkprz

I was thinking maybe too much protien in the water SPS colors can fade a bit when protien concentrations get high.

puffer32

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I was thinking maybe too much protien in the water SPS colors can fade a bit when protien concentrations get high.
So what test can i do to see if i have to much protien?

reefreak29

So what test can i do to see if i have to much protien?
i think hes talking organics, if u want to send me a sample of your water i can run it through my lab and tell u what the organic concentrations are , it takes 5 days to test

puffer32

Originally Posted by reefreak29
i think hes talking organics, if u want to send me a sample of your water i can run it through my lab and tell u what the organic concentrations are , it takes 5 days to test

Think moving it down is what i will try first. Do you really test things in a lab with beacons and test tubes and such????

reefreak29

Think moving it down is what i will try first. Do you really test things in a lab with beacons and test tubes and such????
i work at a water treatment plant we test water

murph145

that type of monti is wierd... i had one that i had low and it turned brown polyps on me too.... then a new one i kept up really high under my 14K bulbs and its as purple as the day i got it... the yellow has lightened up a tad but the polyps are an awesome purple... so im not too sure its the lights

puffer32

murph, when i first saw the monti at my lfs it looked like it did in the 2nd pic i posted. He had the price to high and it didn't sell and his lighting was terrible and it was getting white. Then it got knocked over and was face down. I recognized the shape and picked it up and set it back in the rockwork. My lfs gave it to me cause it he couldn't give it the lighting it needed and we both thought it was dead anyway. Within mins of being in my tank, yyou could see some purple polops. So it origanally was a great color, so it should return to the origanal color under good condition don't you think? No expert on sps, this is one of my first ones :notsure:

viper_930

M. peltiformis is notorious for losing color in the first couple months. Given time it should color back up.