well I'm getting a dwarf

reefkprz

I traded my tomatoe clown for a gold striped maroon clown, and the guy who I traded it to has a dwarf seahorse he wants to get rid of....... so i agreed to take it in..... I'll be getting it thursday.

crimzy

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2606407
I traded my tomatoe clown for a gold striped maroon clown, and the guy who I traded it to has a dwarf seahorse he wants to get rid of....... so i agreed to take it in..... I'll be getting it thursday.

Not trying to cut down your dwarf but are you sure you know what you are getting into? Dwarves do much better in large groups and small tanks and there are almost no fish that they can live successfully with. Also, are you aware that you will have to hatch baby brine shrimp everyday for food?
From your post it sounds as if you're just getting one and you don't mention tankmates. It's a lot of work for just one. They do the best in a 5 - 10 gallon tank with at least one dwarf per gallon and very low flow.
You may know all this but the post doesn't indicate as much. If you have a separate setup and brine hatchery planned then you obviously know what you are doing. If you do have a good setup planned then why are you getting just one? Get a handful because they are really small.

reefkprz

I'm going to put him in my 75g mixed reef......
just kidding
good questions crimzy
I'm getting it because they dont want it and its the last one. in the end it may well be destined for my friend 4g she wants to set up for dwarfs but for now I want to try it out. there is a place close by that I can get more if he/she needs companions.
yes I have a hatchery, but the dwarf is eating frozen dapnhia, cyclops, crushed mysis, and rotifers (unusual I know). its going in a 12g nano cube DX. with a sponge guarded overflow. I have removed all the corals and done a thourough examination for any pest anemone ( I would prefer to start with a dead aquarium but dont have the time to cycle a new tank) but I may just set up a new tank and cycle it anyway. I have added a couple of macros. I have been researching getting various types of horses for a while but I just havent done it yet and free is a good way to start. I may or may not keep it, but for now it needs a home and I have the ability to house it. and hopefully enough people on here to fill in the gaps in my knowledge, should trouble arrise.

reefkprz

can some one please explain in a step by step manner the best way to decapsulate brine shrimp. (I have never done it before) want to get my hatchery going today for the new arrival.

crimzy

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2607338
can some one please explain in a step by step manner the best way to decapsulate brine shrimp. (I have never done it before) want to get my hatchery going today for the new arrival.
I can't tell you the steps but decapsulated eggs are pretty easy to find. There is a seahorse forum that can refer you to the sources. Also on that forum they can refer you to a great source for getting more dwarves if you want. I got mine (when I had them) from that source and the guy was great to deal with. He even sent me an extra dwarf here and there when I ordered a few. If you want his contact info then PM me and I can look for it. Not sure if I still have it on my email.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2607401
I can't tell you the steps but decapsulated eggs are pretty easy to find. There is a seahorse forum that can refer you to the sources. Also on that forum they can refer you to a great source for getting more dwarves if you want. I got mine (when I had them) from that source and the guy was great to deal with. He even sent me an extra dwarf here and there when I ordered a few. If you want his contact info then PM me and I can look for it. Not sure if I still have it on my email.
thanks, I actually found the steps for decapsulation about 2 minutes after I posted the request. (I knew I could find it pretty quickly but asked anyway)
I have a source for more dwarfs locally, I prefer that, as they wont have to be shipped and will only spend an hour in a bag as opposed to an overnight trip. but thanks for the offer.

zeke92

i would get a small 2-3 gallon tank. take a sponge filter. add some fake plants. happy horse.
you could get a simpe dwarf setup like i said above pretty cheap and there real fun to watch. i had one in a 2.5 hex with a 10 gallon HOB filter for it's entire lifespan.

reefkprz

well wasnt expecting him today but things just happen so he floated while I set up a dead tank for him with the exception of live macro (bleach rinsed the macro to kill anything on it) hopefully it doesnt kill the macro too if it does oh well. I didnt want to risk putting him in a live rock tank so i converted my 2.5g with bacterial sand (aragalive) and dead (dry) base rock with a nano filter and a sponge covered pickup with the flow rate adjusted WAAY down.

reefkprz

I wish I had more time to set this up better. but lets hope for the best. he is acclimated and in. I'm going to have to moniter this really closely fortunatly water changes are a cinch in a tank this sized. well without further adeu here is Clyde

A

alexmir

VERY CUTE!! I was going to set one up, bought everything, then decided it would be too much trouble when i went on vacation to get someone to feed him.
But i hope you enjoy him.

reefkprz

I have decided I'm keeping him and getting some tank mates for him but I havent told the future wife yet. she likes him so I dont think it will be a problem.

reefkprz

fortunatly (or un) I am too broke to afford vacations so thats not a danger for me. also I picked up a neat vacation feeding trick on a seahorse forum I started lurking on the other day, drop some decapsulated eggs into the tank the night before and the day you leave and you will have two hatchings at seperate times buying you a day or two.

zeke92

aww he is very cute. he might change colors (don't worry). i got scared when Belle (my old dwarf) got white on her snout and other areas. but it's natural for them to change colors.

reefkprz

thanks for the heads up. clyde is eating, had his first meal this morning at 6am

currently in the process of setting up multiple brine hatching stations so I can keep babuy brine on hand at all times.

reefkprz

tank seems to be doing fine,
salinity 28 (sg roughly1.0207) this seems low to me but it was what an expirienced keeper reccomended, any one think I should change this?
temp 72
amm 0
trite 0
trate 0
phos 0
added a sponge bubble filter to do away with the powerfilter, even with the sponge guard on it it seems to suck up the baby brine too quick for my liking.
I am planning on qting a couple snails in baby brine to expose then kill any hydroids and adding them as a clean up crew, anythoughts on this? or should I stick with manual cleaning.

wyndraven

I say for snails - cerith snails would be great in a dwarf tank (that's what I am going to do for a cleanup crew once my pony tank cycles, etc). Just scrub their shells really well with a toothbrush that has been soaked in RO/DI water. Then pop em in!