well that settles it!

dingo0722

After much investigation and getting no real answer as to if the bottom of my 15g Top Fin tank from petsmart was tempered or not. I decided to find out once and for all, and try to drill a hole.
I was seriously contemplating replacing the bottom with plate glass, but in order to do that I would have to take off the lower frame and all that BS very carefully. So i figured if I am going to replace the bottom, who cares if it shatters because its tempered.
As a precaution I taped the bottom very well with making tape, just in case of who knows. Put some water in the tank, put on the safety glasses and began drilling
Not knowing if the bottom was going to shatter or not, I went slow. Little by little my hole saw went through the glass, making a nice clean cut.
So that settles it; the bottom of a Top Fin 15 is not tempered glass

squidd

No Gut's ...No Glory...

But in general the smaller tanks are not tempered...till you get over 55 gallons or so and the weight starts building up..

T

thomas712

Good work.
Even the tempered ones can be drilled, it just takes patients and a steady hand.

dingo0722

Really! Everyone on here said "no you can not drill tempered glass, it will shatter" :notsure: Anyways, it worked, I am very happy tonight

T

thomas712

When I purchased my 90 it was not drilled and it is tempered glass, I took it to a glass place and accepted that if it broke it was alright. Well they did a great job and no problems.

my way

Originally Posted by Thomas712
When I purchased my 90 it was not drilled and it is tempered glass, I took it to a glass place and accepted that if it broke it was alright. Well they did a great job and no problems.
The problem is it is still prone to shattering after you succesfully drilled the hole.