Well water question?

maurice

I have a deep well and never knew how good it was,so i bought a TDS meter today and calibrated it like they said and when i tested my water it read 0.00 and every once in awhile it would go to 0.01,should i really beleive my well water is that clean?I would like to know if anyone else has had well water tested with good results also?Thanks

reeferdc

well water in general is very clean.. Im suprised it is that clean but it is not impossible. I would say bring it to your LFS and have them test it again with a different kit.

maurice

Originally Posted by Squidd
What kind of TDS meter did you get ...?
And how did you "calibrate" it...??
It's a Hanna tds meter,i used the calibration solution it came with and adjusted it for the temp of the solution as reccomended in the directions.What i did was put the solution in a small bowl and checked the temp then adjusted it to the specs for that temp then i got my well water the same temp and tested it!Did i do it right or did i make a mistake somewhere?

squidd

No, no, just asking..
I have a different type of meter, a cheap dip-in "pencil type" and it didn't come with a claibrating solution or any way to calibrate or check it that I can see...
I'm just getting some "off the wall" readings (700+) and not sure if the unit is defective or I should quit drinking my water...

Even "Aqua-Fina" reads 50+...

maurice

Yeah i think i would get a second opinion on your water with your tds reading that high lol I am going to take some of my water to a friend of mine that runs a lfs and get him to test it with his meter,he has a nice probe tds meter that cost him like 200 bucks.It would be nice to know that my water is really as clean as my tds meter is telling me it is,since i ordered my RO/DI unit before i tested it of coarse.
Do you check your water at any certain temp or just whatever temp it happens to be?

squidd

It's a TDS and Temp meter and supposed to be "temp compensating" ...
No charts or adjustments, I just pulled it off the shelf (been sitting for a couple months) and tested ...680 - 27*c.
Unless theres a "decimal point" thats not lighting up....:thinking:

maurice

Yep i think i would retire that one back to the shelf too!Mine is temp compesating also but i didn't want it to have any reason to lie to me,that is why i used same temp water as i calibrated it in.
Thanks again for the replies!

salty tank

thats crazy that you may be able to use well water. When i read the title i thought "this guy is an idiot, well water cant be nearly clean enough" guess im wrong

squidd

Well...<<<no pun intended<<<
A tds meter gives you a reading of disolved solids, by measuring conductivity...
You (maurice) should still have the water tested for Silicates, Nitrites, trates, and phosphates...

maurice

True,i have tested myself for the trites and trates but i am waiting on my new phos. test kit now.I will have to get a silicate test or take a sample somewhere to get that tested.I am just really curious if i got lucky and have good water.

photo guy

I've been using well water for a few months now. I just haven't gotten around to hooking up my RODI yet. I haven't tested the water but I do know that it's very clear, tastes great and there have been no problems thus far. It HAS to be better than the city water around here.

nytrillium

Well....
I have an artesian well 430 feet deep. absolutely crystal clear with nothing in it... we had it tested for about everything under the sun and i am currently using that for my mix water.
SO yes it can be done. but make sure that it is pure enough.