WET/DRY best for a 55gal?

What do some of you out there use on your 55 gal tanks? Someone tried to sell me a mag 350 yesterday... will that do the job?
Any feed back would be good.
I plan to go with either the remora or C Urchant for a skimmer.

wangotango

I wouldn't use a wet dry for a reef, as the media that are generally used in them like bioballs and that bio-bale stuff will trap all sorts of crud and could be a nitrate problem if they aren't cleaned regularly. IMO a sump/fuge would be a better way to go. They can be as simple as a regular tank, or you could buy one that's pre-made with baffles, bulkheads, etc.
If you're going with a reef-ready tank that will drain 600gph, you'll want a mag 7 (700gph) which will match the overflow once it's pumped back up.
The remora is a hang-on skimmer, the urchin is an in-sump model.
-Justin

al mc

Wango is correct if you have a reef ready system. If you do not, then a canister filter can work. A fish only tank that is not overloaded can be supplied by the Magu=num 350, but I would get a larger canister if you have a large fish bioload or plan on a reef. Eheim makes some good ones and I believe that Magnum has a larger canister that the 350...A '500' if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks guys... I will look into that cannister by Eheim.
Wango ... what are advantages to having skimmer in tank? more space on the outside>

wangotango

Well one of the main purposes of a sump is to keep all of your equiptment in, so it doesn't clutter up the back of the tank.
-Justin

So you would go with the C Urchin.. I priced them both out. Same prices..
Can't buy it for another week or so. Spend all my coin on the lights!