wet dry filter

jacare

hey just gat my wet dry filter anda my tank is still cycling with 2 walmart filters
my ? is if i take the filters out and put the wet dry filter wil it harm my cycle in any way
i just spend a lot of money on it ha ha ha ha so pliss tell it wound harma my cycle il be waiting for advice before i instal it
i wnt to get my water testes today anda the guy at the store told me that it's almost cycled he sad in about 5 days it will be cycled so im realy happy but anyone pliss help

blemmy_guy

Your wet dry filter is totally biologic, so it wont affect your cycle, but your cycle will take around 4 to 6 weeks, has it been that long??? you will have 2 amonia spikes, when the 2nd spike has hit 0 you will then have cycled your tank. I run a wet/dry on my bigger tank and love it. Goodluck to ya! Todd

blemmy_guy

Cool its probly about ready just like the guy said. Congrats youve just learned patience!! That was the hardest thing for me to learn with this hobby. Get us some pictures as soon as you start getting things in there!! I remember when i was starting my first tank!! I was like a little kid waiting for the fair to get set up!!! hmmm, come to think of it i still get like that when im getting something new for my tank! Anyway Get ya a clean up crew in there as soon as you can then go for it!! Let us know if you need any help. Theres a lot of great people with great advise on this board! Some of the best. Listen to everyones opinions then do what you feel the most comfortable doing.
Good luck to ya! Todd

jacare

whats a clean up crew and shold i get it now ou wait for it to be cylcled
and ill be postinho piks soon

nofish

Clean up crew is your hermit crabs,snail, and shrimp..yes wait till fully cycled. :thinking:
J
ps how big is your tank?

fishntx

if your tank is almost cycled dont take off the filter yet just add the wet dry and run them both for about 4- 6 weeks.(long enough for bacteria to build up on the bio balls). then take off the old filter. if you just switch them out now your cycle will start all over because you will be removing all the bacteria from the old filter.

blemmy_guy

I dont think his current filter has really had time to grow bacteria yet, at least enough worry about. And changing the filter wont cause a second cycle. Ive done it before and i didnt have any spikes at all.
todd

jacare

so i shold'n worry about about cheging the filter
and my old filter i i washed it already they told meu to clean my filter every 2 weeks

nizmike

jacare,
Your posts are so riddled with typo's they are almost unreadable...Type a bit more carefully.
DANG