wet/ dry filters

rgaines

I'm in the process of building my system and I would like everyone's thoughts on Eheim filters. Does anyone use these for the reef tank or fish only? Can you use them in a marine tank at all?
Also what is the benefit of using a wet/ dry sump filtration setup vs. a canister filter?
:jumping:

condork12

wet/dry or sumps are better because you can add addition to them (protein skimmer) etc. but on the other hand i would strongly recomend using a protein smimmer if you use a wetdry.

thedogofwa

a wet/dry provides much more surface are for bacteria to grow. Make sure you keep your prefilters clean.
I strongly suggest a protein skimmer for no matter what method you choose.
FYI, these filters have developed a bad rep for producing nitrates but I think it's undserved, I think the flaw is in lack of maintenance.

condork12

well they do produce a ton of nitrates ecasue there is so much oxygen exposure and there is absoultly no room for any anerobic bacteria. if your talking about lack of maintenance all water changes do is screw stuff up. if you do a wetdry consider this setup. http://www.**************.com/produc...C&N=2004+22778
if you get a skimmer or a refuge before a wetdry they are wonderful but if not i wouldnt recomend one. i wouldnt use that particular product just that setup. where the skimmer gets the water first/ before the wetdry

thedogofwa

Originally posted by condork12
if your talking about lack of maintenance all water changes do is screw stuff up.

you've got to be kidding me! Water changes screw things up? I know you didn't say that.

condork12

there are much better alternatives to having good water. wow! you think they dont? all they will do is minorly decrease phosphates and nitrates. and replace trace elements. Why risk risk throwing ---- out of wack when you can get of phosphates and nitrates ie a skimmer, fuge, or phosban. and replace trace elements threw additves.

thedogofwa

relax,
1st what I meant by lack of maintenance was dirty filters and complete lack of filters. I've seen tons of ppl who removed their filters entirely because they are scared of trapping organic materials that will lead to problems. if they are left uncleaned, it will cause a problem. left unfiltered, the crap just settles in the balls and you get the same problem. bottom line is that wet/drys do provide better filtration than nothing at all....and it doesn't matter if we use live rock or biobals, we still get nitrates because it's part of the cycle.
I don't even want to debate water changes, been through that discussion along with other hobbiests and experts more than I care to. We always end up at the same end. There is not enough evidence to prove or disprove the benefit of water changes. I shouldn't have even said anything it's just that I can't stand to see unproveable theroys stated as if they are fact, especially in the presence of a beginner. stability and consistancy are important. Regular water changes should accomplish this minus the debate on what x amount is removed and then x amount replaced with sea salts...yadda yadda yadda. That discussion is beyond most beginers and if they want to venture down that rd later, then great, hopefully they can help bring more studies and fact to the table. The majority of reefkeepers still believe in water changes and should IMO because it has seemed to work and until fact can prove otherwise, I believe it's best.
just have 1 question I'd like to ask. Why do you recommend that particular filter?

condork12

not that particular one but that setup. because the protein skimmer gets the water first removing most organics before they hit the bio filtration.

thedogofwa

yes, very nice, it even takes advatage of the bubbles from the drain and should eliminate any microbubble return to the display.

midasblenn

I have the AquaClear, shown above, on both my 90 & 75 and love them. I added a 9x9x1 block of cell-pore in the bottom of the sump under the bio-balls for an oxygen difficient bacteria zone and I have 5 in sandbeds in both tanks. The results are very stable tanks with limited water changes. About 10% every 3rd week when nitrates creep above 25. You just have to make sure you clean your pre-filter every week and the foam block in the sump. Not on the same day!

drkdweller

wet/dry filters become "nitrate factorys" when you dont clean the balls once a year. If you clean them and clean the chamber they dont cause nitrate probems, by cleaning i mean swishing them around in some water you take out from your tank, not scrubing them or rinseing them in fresh salt water, that way you keep the anerobic bacteria on the balls. I've seen tanks with 0 nitrates running wetdrys that have been set up for a while.

thedogofwa

Originally posted by midasblenn
I added a 9x9x1 block of cell-pore in the bottom of the sump under the bio-balls for an oxygen difficient bacteria zone

Great Idea!

midasblenn

I am happy with it. Dont know how much it is truely helping but Had high Nitrates and was looking at the bio-rocker system and sandbeds. (The bio-rocker uses cell pore instead of bio-balls)Added the DSB and it helped after about 2 months but needed a little something extra. Went with the cell-pore and that was the extra boost I needed because Nitrates are really stable now around 12.5. Like I said above, about every 3 weeks they creep up to 25 and I do a change. And thats with a pretty good bio-load.

rgaines

So you wouldn't recommend using a protein skimmer in combination with canister type wet/dry Eheim filter. (Skimmer before wet/dry) I kind of like the Eheim because it's all inclosed and there's no chance it can overflow. On the other hand if it's not going to get the job done and may cause more problems than it's going to fix then I wouldn't use it.
:thinking: