Wet dry filters

skierguy

I am looking to buy a wet dry filter for my 55 gal. FOWLR. The guy at the LFS recomended the CPR, but offered no explination why. I was wondering if any of the filters were better than others or are they all the same. I do not have a drilled tank so the overflow will make a difference. Does any one have an opinion on them.

twicklund

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, I would say make your own sump/wet dry. It will save you a ton of money. Do a search on google and you should come up with a number of different plans of them that people have made.
Sorry i can't answer your question specifically as I try to DIY as much as possible. (But I will give you a bump up!!!)
:)
tw

skierguy

Thank you, twicklund I will look for some plans. I have a lot of confidence when it comes to working with wood. I am a little worried when it comes to working with acrylic. I don't want to come home to all the water on my floor and not in my tank.

twicklund

The approach I took was a 20 gallon glass tank to which I added a couple of pieces of acrylic...This way, I knew the "sump" would start leaking. You could probably get away with a 10 gallon tank for your sump for a 55...Check the DIY forum too...I am sure there is a ton of info there on this. If you need some help, let me know.
twicklund@yahoo.com
tw