wet/dry risk ?

wid

Hi,
I am new to wet/dry , I was using Magnum 350 for my 46g, and now I got a 72g, and i am going to use wet/dry with a return pump and over flow. My question is, what if there is a power outage ? what happen when there is no power in the return pump ? thanks
Wid

niger12

If your overflow breaks its siphon when the pump kicks back on it could overflow the tank and if the pump stops and you don't drill a hole in the return line to break the siphon when the pump stops you can overflow the sump. Are you using an internal or external overflow and what brand external? I ran an external for years and it never broke syphon once.

wester97

if you are using a siphon overflow box, the siphon should not brea. this setup is the only way to avoid possible overflows

squidd

Originally posted by Niger12
... drill a hole in the return line to break the siphon when the pump stops ...

:yes:

ejensen

Most return U tubes have a hole drilled in it to stop it break the siphon back into your sump. If it doesn't then drill a hole in it just under the water line so it doesn't spray water all over the place. Test it by turning off your pump to see if it overflows your sump.

adamz

if i am setting up a 75 gal fish only tank could i get buy with a jebo 180 protein skimmer and a emperor 400? i want to see if i can go with out a wet dry filter

T

thomas712

Adamz
You don't have to have a wet/dry, but don't underfilter your tank. I would have at least two emeror 400's, a good 2 inch or more sandbed, and some rock live or base. A cpouple of Maxijet 900 powerheads. All that as a minimum for filtration.
just a suggestion

adamz

yeah theres gonna be over 1000 gph being pushed int the tank the protein skimmer does 600 and the emporer well oblviously it does 44 hunderd but the protein skimmer comes with a pump uhh starts with a v and its a 1500, i will also have alot of live rock i work at a pet store so get good deals on it with me discount:happy:

B

bluedolphi

What about water level when running a wet/dry?
At what point are you in trouble with a wet/dry? Can you let the level drop an 1/4", a 1/2" a 1"? When are you going to have a problem. If you leave for a few days... are you going to need to have an autofiller?
This is one of the problems I forsee using a sump system. They just seem WAY too sensitive. Then there is the noise issues, the flood problems, the water damage of the sumps water/moisture being exposed to furniture, heat transfer issues..... and on and on.
I am not sure I get it.
To hide a heater (most are fully submersible and can be easily hidden), and not have a skimmer on the show tank? But instead to have 2" PVC fittings staring the viewer in the face, and black boxes stuck to the insides of the tanks (overflow boxes inside the tank)?
I know they are the cool setup to have now.... but they seem like they are for someone who is going to tinker with them on almost a daily basis.
I am constantly amazed at the messy looking sump set ups that I see in some of the forums. Do the owners actually think that these eyesores are acceptable? I have seen guys/gals with sump tanks all over their viewing rooms, as though they are proud of them. To the point it actually completely draws the attention away from the main tank...... you know..... the one with the FISH in it!?
I work with pumps, autofillers all the time (not the type used for aquariums). Autofillers "f" up quite often.... and they do not tend to hold up over a long time. I can imagine in a salt water environment, they would be failing often.
With an hob pump/filter, all you have showing in the tank is a 3/4" tube dropping down in the tank. The water level can drop a lot without fear. While there is always the potential for flooding, it is pretty much nonexistent. Seems pretty acceptable compared to the above.
I am playing a bit of devils advocate here..... only because I am not sure of going with a sump setup myself. I likely will, but I sometimes wonder why....

dankell

my oppinion,,,,,
take your time, buy the right equipment for your set up and you wont have any problems, at first you'll have to tinker with it on a daily basis,just to "work the bugs out" but after that, you shouldnt have any problems, we havnt had any problems thus far, i have a 125 gal. fish only with a sump, and in it i have a skimmer,uv sterilizer, return pump magdrive 9.5 a powerhead to operate the uv sterilizer......All in the sump, and no problems... we just do what i call prevenative maintenance, that will assure that you will not have any problems arrise... and it looks nice and very clean,,,pretty simple huh ? good luck....

B

bluedolphi

Having a 120g, I am not really looking forward to having more water (stability).
It just seems like (2) AC500's, and a HOB skimmer would be simpler.
But I likely will end up going for a sump.