Wet dry/ sump diagram help!!!

jasenhicks

I dont see why that wont work. Looks good. Probably cheaper than my acrylic wet/dry i paid 150 for! Although the 10 gal tank may be a bit small, if you can fit a 10 gal in the stand maybe go with a 20 or 30 long. THat way you can incorporate a fuge and no bioballs. Just a hint.
Jasen

masterzeus

Originally Posted by reeferDC
a 20 or 30 wont fit in sadly...

Try a 16 tall. It fits perfectly under my 55. It has the same base as a 10, but is taller to hold the other 6 gallons.
BTW, if you have liverock, don't use bioballs. They suck!

reeferdc

really??? What kind of filter should I use?? I only have fish.. can I just use a skimmer and a carbon filter??

jasenhicks

With fish only, you can get away with some live rock and a protein skimmer. No other filter needed. You could even get away with only an undergravel filter! THe first successful keeper of saltwater fish in the US only used an undergravel filter! But i would recommend a good healthy skimmer and some live rock. The live rock will be good real decoration and great biological filtration! I havent used any carbon in my 75gal tank yet and its been running very well for 9 months.

jasenhicks

id say using an undergravel filter would be adequate, unless you want to do a sand bed. Then it wouldnt work and you could go with the conventional hangon or canister filter. I think a marineland eperor 440 (HOB)would be best, thats what i used at one point before i went to the wet/dry. It worked exceptionally well when it was kept with new carbon filters on a regular basis, that and the biowheels help provide an "adequate" biological filter bed.
Also for the closed loop system id say go with 3/4"pipe, 1" would require a pretty hefty pump.

jasenhicks

That will work just fine. And btw if you do a wet/dry forget about using a carbon filter, its not needed take the money and use it to buy a better skimmer.

kjord97

I personaly have never liked the wet dry system. Maybe because i am just plumbing challanged. :notsure: I have a 45 gal FOWLR that has been set up for 3 years. I have a 3 inch sand bed and about 40lbs of live rock. the only filter i have is a CPR hang on back refugium. I have never had a protein skimmer, and i only do a 5 gall water change every 2 weeks. The live contents, include, a hawkfish, 2 cadinals, bi-color, yellow gobby, 2 pepermint shrimps, a 4 year old blood shrimp, about 20 hermits and snails. Also got a blue knuckle hermit, he jumped out of my 125 reef, found him walkin along floor, so i dropped him in FOWLR, guess he didnt like reef life. :thinking:
Your design for your Sump is a good one. I have made several for my friends. Please stay away from bio-balls.
Good luck with your FOWLR.

oceana

Originally Posted by JasenHicks
id say using an undergravel filter would be adequate, unless you want to do a sand bed. Then it wouldnt work and you could go with the conventional hangon or canister filter. I think a marineland eperor 440 (HOB)would be best, thats what i used at one point before i went to the wet/dry. It worked exceptionally well when it was kept with new carbon filters on a regular basis, that and the biowheels help provide an "adequate" biological filter bed.
Also for the closed loop system id say go with 3/4"pipe, 1" would require a pretty hefty pump.

the under gravel unit IMO is the terrible idea and to be honest i think that is the first time i have ever seen one recommended on this board. i very good over sized skimmer along with your sump will be ok IF you are very good about your water changes. your are only looking at long term stability problems with an under ground. take 20+ sample tanks from this board and you will find MAYBE one that uses one. and that person will be a newbe. heck that would ring true for most any forum.
your design will work however i dont see a trickle plate?? and like said above you should atleast use live rock rubble instead of bio balls. any bit will help because in your system design your biggest filter will be your water changes due to the lack of bio filtration from your lack of any live rock.

jasenhicks

WOW, i have never been so surprised with the lack of intellegence before. The undergravel filter is a fine source of filtration. I think people need a history lesson and a biology lesson. As soon as i find an article on the first saltwater tank, ill post it. I think now a days people are too wrapped up with all of the different ways to spend money on filtration because thats what the industry pushes. Just because somthing new comes out doesnt mean its better (not all the time at least). I have succesfully run my discus freshwater tank for 8 months using only an undergravel filter powered by an air pump. Last time i checked discus are pretty difficult to keep as well.... sometimes more difficult than basic saltwater fish. Im not trying to convince anyone but dont rule it out because its old school... btw undergravel filtration is just a huge biological bed, the same as a wet/dry setup in concept.