wet dry?

dfishh

im thinking about getting a wet dry filter but its not certain, i just wantto make sure i know wat im going before i buy it. i was thinking about the Maxi Reef-100. it says for tanks up to 90 gallons and i have a 55. im pretty sure itll fit under my tank. it comes with a sump, a slide out drip tray, a chemical drawer under the bio chamber, a 3/4" bulkhed, a single drain pre-filter (handles 400GPH), prefilter foam, and a 1 1/4" drain tube. the only thing it needs is an apropriatly sized pump. It is 24 x 10 x 18 1/2, and its 199.99 (but i also have to buy the pump). this is directly from the magazine. questions: is this a good filter to get? wat would be a good pump? and is this a good deal? thanx all
DAVE

cboyfan2020

if you want my opinion....most people end up converting their wet/dry's to sumps and fuges. Unless you have a DSB or something to convert trates then the bioballs can harbor a lot of the, if not cleaned reguraly. I would just as soon make a sump/fuge. It would be cheaper to put together and cheaper to maintain and provide better filtration IMO.

dfishh

k i get wat u mean, so do u think the whole sump area around the filter and bioball chamber should have a dsb? how much do u figure i would need for a 55 gallon tank? or is it the sump size that would matter? slick, its a reef i guess, not too many corals but inverts and a few corals so i call it a reef. my substrate is CC tho. still need to know bout that pump tho
DAVE

dfishh

fosters and smith mag. it also has a slim-line wet dry and a hang on wet dry, but the maxi reef looks like the best to me. i also have one more question, is the bukhed the intake for the sump? i dont know much about wet drys and hooking stuff up and pumbing so ill probly need alot of help. ive herd theyr very complicated to put together, but i think ill manage. anyone answer my questions pleez
DAVE

dfishh

o k thanx. i was wondering, how many pumps will i need? also i dont have a built in overflow:( but they do sell in the same magazine, a 'continuous syphon overflow' which i think is a hangone overflow kinda thing. it says that it can be hard plumbed with standard PVC. ??????????? wat does it all mean? still need sum help thanx evryone
DAVE

brewercm

Dfish,
Usually when you buy those they come with the hang on overflow. That is the amiracle brand, I bought the pro series from them several years ago and love it. Well loved it after I replaced the cheesey protein skimmer it came with. I believe it comes with everything that you'll need to get it up and running with the exception of the return pump and hose. Give them a call to verify but I'm almost positive of it.

dfishh

brewercm, r u talking about a hang on wet-dry filter, or just the over flow? cuz in the same mag, theyrs a hang on wetdry with a litle POS skimmer in the sump. the maxi reef is amiracle im pretty sure. and i think it comes with the hose too. i think i will get a mag drive or a eheim pump
DAVE

brewercm

Sorry for the delay.
The sump style comes with the overflow, and everything you'll need to get it running except the return pump and return hose. The Mag pump is a great pump, just changed mine over to that one from the Rio that I was using. Nothing happened to the Rio just hearing too many bad things, figured better safe than sorry plus got a great deal on the Mag 7 from another member here. I agree about the protein skimmers they (Amiracle) put on there wet/dry filters. I rigged up a Berlin to work at the inlet of the sump. I think that most all of the wet/dry products usually come with the overflow box included.
Another great option is to check out ---- for a filter. They have some really nice products out there with prices that are great. Sometimes you can even get a pump thrown in for about half the original cost.
Good luck

dfishh

ok, so do u think it would be bet to get the maxi reef, with a mag drive, maybe 6? also, squishy, wat is a calcium reactor? ive herd of em b4 but dont know wat they r. id rather get a new filter than a used, but then again if i can get a good deal on a nice filter thats better than a standard one, id go for it.
DAVE

dfishh

brecrew, i checked ----, ur rite! i got my tank from ---- actually, and just forgot about it then. thanx for the advice
DAVE

brewercm

Hope everything works out good with it. I've wanted to get a larger sump for mine but do to cabinet restrictions I think I'm gonna have to plump a second sump to my existing one, possibly turn it into a refuge at that time.
Good Luck

dfishh

hows this sound, from e bay?
ALL GLASS WET/DRY FILTER FOR UP TO 90GAL
This great filter is made of all glass (not acrylic) so it will not warp. It measures 20" x 10" x 12" (L x W x H). This filter has a 4 gallon bio-media capacity, enabling it to support saltwater aquariums up to 90 gallons. The SL-10's compact size makes it ideal for use on smaller aquariums. Includes a glass hinged cover, drip plate, and has an area large enough to place a water pump internally. The SL-10 has a maximum flow rate of ~650 GPH. Bioballs are available for an extra $20.00
its going for $125 rite now and i can buy it now for $160.
i know its not great, but its like the only thing thatl fit under my tank. evrything is 12" wide, stand only has 10" of room tho. im thinking about using live rubble sted of bioballs and put a dsb in the sump area. if i do this do u think i will need lite for the live rubble and possibly for the sand??????? man, the worst thing about ---- is trying to pick one that u want, there r so many...lol
its gonna be tough. ;) :D

brewercm

What you said is exactly what I would do. I would pass on the bio balls also and just let it run as a sump.

dfishh

cool, good idea, i saw one on ---- for 40 bucks. also, do u think i could put my skimmer that is currently on the back of my tank into the sump and have a dsb in there as well? i know the protein skimmer is sump compatible. ive got lots of options, not sure wat to get.......i think ill pass up the glass one.
DAVE

brewercm

jboothiv,
It's sitting out in a box in my shed. Looks basically new. I am using the pump at the moment as an additional power head but can take it out and throw it in if you're interested. All I'd want is enough to replace the powerhead with a maxijet 1200, unless you have one that you'd be willing to trade.
Email me at brewerch66@aol.com