Whale shark pics

firerescue

this is a real pic in case some think is fake and really did happen. I just got back from our 3 week trip to maui

m0nk

That's awesome! I've been seeing all these cool documentaries with people swimming with sharks and I want to so much.

branden

Very cool.. But the person in that picture is way too close to the shark. I thought everyone learned in scuba certification not to touch or ride sea creatures! Poor animal must has been sterssed out!

matt b

Originally Posted by Branden
Very cool.. But the person in that picture is way too close to the shark. I thought everyone learned in scuba certification not to touch or ride sea creatures! Poor animal must has been sterssed out!
well wouldent the shark swim away or bite him if it was that bad???

saltn00b

Originally Posted by Isistius

that is one of my dreams. i am sooooooo jealous. the other one is to ride a manta ray.

+1

firerescue

Are you serious Branden????actually whale sharks do not bite people, they will wack you with their tail if you are by it because they cannot see their tail but anywhere else they can see you and this one actually approached us and after he rode it came around again.
I have been diving for 19 years.

Oh and here is a pic of some mantas I saw. Next to impossible to ride since they are pretty skittish.

kevin34

WOW! I want to go scuba diving so bad but the thought of being in water with wild sharks kinda freaks me out. Have you ever had an actual shark encounter? Great white? Tiger shark?

zeke92

as an aquarist i have two dreams - ride a whale shark and see the great barrier reef. you have done one of them, luuuuuuucccckkkkyyyyyyy

branden

Yes, I am serious, though you didn't say the sharks came up to you, you just said "riding a whale shark". I'm a certified diver as well, and I remember learning in every level of certification to leave marine life alone, and not to ride or grab animals as it can cause unnecessary stress. It's one thing for sea life to come up to you, but from your first post that wasn't the impression I got

The mantas are awesome- where did you see them?
Here is an eagle ray I saw.. Aside from the nurse shark that I didn't get a shot of, it's the biggest sea creature I've seen.