What About A 120?

scout

I have been in the hobby for about two years and have two biocubes, a 29 and an 8 gallon. The 29 has metal halide lighting with a pretty wide assortment of coral including a little sps. I want something bigger(like everyone else) and was looking at the 120 gallon(four foot long) for a mixed reef tank. I have seen joncat's tank and it looks great. But I was wondering what are the downsides to a 120 versus the 125? I guess the depth might require higher intensity light, and it is not a six foot tank more suitable for tangs but what else is there that would be a disadvantage versus a longer tank with similar volume? Would I be better off with the 125 or 150?

mboswell1982

a 120 is 48x24x24, while a 125 is 72x18x22, the 120 is wider, which is always nice, as i prefer a wide tank personally, the 150 is also only 18" wide, while its 29" tall, meaning you're going to need MH to keep it lit, so, honestly, you're better off with the 120 :p
to me, wider is better, which is why my custom tanks are gonna be 72x40x20 :p

wangotango

24" gives you a lot of aquascaping possibilities over a narrower tank like the 125. If you wanted to keep larger fish that need more swimming room then the 6' length could come in handy.
IMO the 180 (72x24x24) is the best of both worlds for production tanks.
-Justin

D

dennis210

The 120 is a really nice all around tank in respect to design, aquascaping possibilities, and less exspensive if looking at a 48" vrs 72" lighting fixture.
Personally the only 6 footer I liked was the 210 I have (72 x 24 x 27). When considering a tank I feel the depth (front to back) is what adds to the visual appeal.

kb338

I have a 120 and like it not only due to the width but also the depth. Being 24" deep, its still relatively easy to reach the bottom of the tank. The 150 makes reaching the bottom alot tougher. The 125 is just too narrow. You can't aquascape in it.

scout

Thanks for the input. I will probably go this route. Still like the idea of a six foot long tank but prefer the depth(front to back) of the 120. Not sure I am ready to move up to the 180 or 210 just yet but those certainly look like great tanks.