What about the dead?

na-h2o

Hi All,
I have had an ammonia spike in my tank. Ammonia is reading between .5 and 1ppm. I'm leaning more towards 1ppm. Everything else is good. I have lost three fish. Looks like the tank is re-cycling for some reason. Beside the three "DOA" fish there are two atlantic anemones. They are fine along with 10 Turbo snails. I checked ammonia 3 days ago and it was 0ppm.
Anyway, my question is this. Should I remove the dead or leave them. I have read articles that go both ways. What think ye??
Tony

clarkiiboi

Remove them or as I was told once to give it to the anemone (not sure of that idea though)
How long has this tank been up? What is in the tank and I assume the spike was before the fish died, right? If so you may want to try to figure out why you got a spike.

lnarobbins

remove the dead, like stated earler is your tank new? if so you might want to return your anenomies, they need almost perfect water and intence lighting
jmo
alan

susiepan

remove anything that is dead, or that can not be comsumed by a cleaning crew rather quickly, or you will also dee an ammonia spike...and YES you can feed the anenome A fish, depending on the size of each, but dont keep feeding it fish, or you will over feed it, and it will die too...
How long is your tank up and running?
Gl, and sorry about the loss..
~Susie ;)

na-h2o

Hi,
This tank has been up and running around four months or so.
I decided to remove the dead fish last night. I had been trying to catch them for a while and couldn't. (Damsels) I guess now it doesn't matter.
I understand about the anemones and light etc.. I have been keeping them for years in other tanks and have been sucessful. The longest I have had one live was 16 months is a 55 gallon setup I had several years ago. I like them so I keep them in a tank that I don't have to worry about losing exspensive fish in.
Thanks all!