what about this filter?

ga8233

I asked this question earlier today but no one replied.
Has anyone used the Ecosystem Filter sold here on SWF.com?
My tank (125g.) is ok now but in the past I've had a hair algae problem. Will the Ecosystem help prevent that?
Any opinions on the Ecosystem will be appreciated. Gina

squidd

The Ecosystem filters are a Hang on Back type of "refugium"and as such you could do a search on "refugium"-"fuge" for other general information and experiences.
In general a "fuge" will help with a hair algae/micro algae problem by allowing the growth of "macro' algaes which will compete with (and hopefully beat) the "micros" for nutrients in the tank...
In principal the "Ecosystem" should help your tank, but the ones advertised are rated for 40-60 gal tanks and you have a 125...
Unless you are planning on purchasing two or three units for your tank it may not put but a dent in your algae...for that kind of money (or less) you could build, or have built, a much larger system with over flows and return pump for under or over your tank.
(In My Opinion)...A fuge is a good thing and will help your tank...But this one in particular may not be the "best" choice for your system.
:cool:

ga8233

Thanks I've been looking for someone to build a fuge for me. Hopefully I can get one done soon.

foxthorn

I'm using an Ecosystem and have been very happy with it so far - although my tank is still relatively young. I used a 30gal tank and added the baffles as described by EcoSystem. If you send them an e-mail they will send you out the plans to build your own. You'll save a lot of $$$ that way. Good luck.

ga8233

Thanks Foxthorn, Who do I send the e-mail to ? and did you build your own? I'm not very handy when it comes to things like that. Was it relatively easy?G