What about this for fish?

museumgirl

We're getting ready to switch a 125G FW tank over to a reef tank. It had been a SW tank at one point and it's a shame to waste it on FW. (IT HAS MH LIGHTING!!) ANYWAY- what do you guys think about the following for fish:
2- true perculas
1- coral beauty angel
2- lyretail Anthias
1- blue reef chromis
2- green chromis - will these different types of chromis' school together?
1- purple chromis
1- clown goby (citron)
1- shrimp goby
1- blue hippo tang
1- yellow tang
We'd also like some various corals, anemones, and shrimp.
Would these fish be OK together? What about Quantity for the tank? All opinions welcomed.
Thanks

dogstar

The list is good for a reef ( never sure with a CB ) but, not a good idea to mix species of chromis, pick the one species you like best and just add a few of them, 3 or 5. The tangs should be fine for a while in a 125. Just add the fish slowly over time.

boalgf

I have mixed chromis (blue reef and green) together with never a problem. Though I'm not sure that wasn't just luck on my part. I think the coral beauty is one of the best dwarf angels to put in a reef. They are very docile and beautiful.
I would get a small yellow tang (under 3") if I were you. I bought a 6" yellow and it actually ate a few of my very small peppermint shrimp and picked the tail right off my mandarin dragonet. They are one of the more aggressive tangs.
I don't think you'll be overstocked with your current list if you have high filtration, a sump, skimmer, heavy water movement, and lots of liverock. If you go with a basic set up and no liverock, you might want to ditch about 3 or 4 of those fish.

museumgirl

Thanks for the input. If yellow tangs tend to be a little more aggressive, what species of tangs are more docile?

boalgf

Kole, convict, blue, atlantic blue to name a few. Also if you want something yellow you can get a foxface. They are very passive and much more durable than a tang.

dogstar

IMO, the yellow will be fine with those fish. I have yellows with a Hippo and they dont notice each other at all. Depending on when and how you add them of course.....nether tang should bother any of the other fish either. But a Hippo will out grow a 125g over time. I also have a CB and a Flame angle in my reef with know problems and its not luck, its the norm, just with some can be bad luck. haha

boalgf

I also agree that the yellow won't be a problem more than likely, though they are one of the more aggressive and territorial tangs.
I can't see a blue tang outgrowing a 6ft tank, even if they get to a full foot in length. Most that were caught young normally stop growing at about 10" in the home aquarium. 6 foot tanks are the accepted size tank for them.

dogstar

Not that Im trying to get into an argument with you boalgf, I respect your thoughts,
but I got rid of one of my hippos after haveing it 4 years, :( from my 150g when it got 7 inches because in a normal reef packed with rock and corals and other fish just haveing 6 foot of length was not enough, they have to be able to turn around and go up and down too and a typical 125g. reef does not allow for this kind of stress free movement. Maybe in a FO tank were there would be less rock and more free room. JMO

boalgf

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Not that Im trying to get into an argument with you boalgf, I respect your thoughts,
but I got rid of one of my hippos after haveing it 4 years, :( from my 150g when it got 7 inches because in a normal reef packed with rock and corals and other fish just haveing 6 foot of length was not enough, they have to be able to turn around and go up and down too and a typical 125g. reef does not allow for this kind of stress free movement. Maybe in a FO tank were there would be less rock and more free room. JMO
This is a completely valid opinion. I suppose I'd have to see the rockwork of the tank to make a say either way. I've got a lot of rockwork in my 125 fish only. Around 160lbs of liverock. However I make sure the front area of the glass is always free of obstructions to leave swimming room. I did the same in my 90 reef.
My blue hippo is getting to about 7" as well. I'd sooner get rid of my live rock than get rid of that fat fish. =) They are so peaceful. It's a breath of fresh air compared to my other fish.

museumgirl

Thanks so much for the opinions guys... I'll definetly take them into consideration when We start to stock the tank. :joy: