What additives do you use?

tjswanson

I just started reef keeping again after about a 2 year absence. I use Kent Marine calcium, of course, and Coral Vite, Essential Elements and Coral Accel all by Kent. I was wondering what else everyone would reccommend I add. I was looking into the Black Powder made by Marc Weiss. Has anyone out here used this stuff before? And does it really work?? Please let me know what everyone out there thinks.

T

tulip89

I have been using Blackpowder, and it doesn't really blow them away.. I say it doesn't hurt, I use C- Balance by Two little fishes.. Keep's my calcuim at a constant 440 - 450. Good stuff... I add the trace elements from them too.. I can also say there must be alot of protein in blackpowder, because after using it my skimmer fills up more then If I don't.. :jumping: Hope this helps

nm reef

I use Seachems Reef advanyage Calcium...Reef Advantage Magnesium...Reef Builder...and nothing else.
By the way can you possibly list the ingrediants of the Marc Weiss "Black Powder"...didn't think so...as a rule I refuse to use products that nobody seems able to determine what exactly its made of!!

T

thomas712

NM I'm pretty sure one of the main ingreadiants of any of his products is water, I suspect from what comes out of the bottle that skimmate is the second ingreadiant.

fender

Other than salt/water:
B-ionic
Baking soda
Pickling Lime
And about once a month about 5ml of iodine.

salty jeff

I just change 4 gallons of water a week (in my 42 hex) with fresh RO/DI water and fresh salt. I drain and fill at the same time using small tubing so nothing is disturbed. I believe the tank gets everything it needs and my corals really have taken off after I started doing this. Nothing else is needed.

S

spsaddict

i only add mg, my ca and alk is kept in check by my kalk reactor, and i add a few caps aof calcium a week, once i get my ca reactor ill only add minimal amounts of mg... otherwise everything is replenished by waterchanges