What am I doing wrong?

polka

Hello, I need some help once again. I recently purchased a yellow tang. I have a 40gal f/o with 1 clown and 1 hawkfish. I returned a fijgi devil due to it being a bully. Anyway I had the tang for approx. three days and within 4 hours today he died. Why am I having such trouble keeping fish? A while ago I purchased a Picasso Trigger, it too, died. My levels are right on and my other two friends seem fine. Any thoughts? Thank you!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Tangs are not easy fish to keep and they do require ALOT of swiming space and areation. How is your surface water flow? 40 gals is a bit small for tangs. I have a 72 and my tang is feeling a bit cramped in there [he only has 5 other small tankmates!]
If you want a yellow tang, or any type of tang, get him as a juvenile and then raise him in the smaller environment.

polka

This tang was young. Quite small I would say compared to the others at lfs. I have a 900 maxi-jet power head in one corner pointing upward to move the surface. In the other corner I have a 201 pointing toward the center of the tank. Is there any recommendations on what type of fish I should try. Could I get another clown or will it not be happy with the one already in there? Also, I do have some bubbles from the p/s, I was told I didn't need alot of bubbles in the water, is that correct? Thank you!