What am I missing? - algea issue

K

kpatrick

Okay I have recently had a lot of hair algea popping up and I thought it was due to me switching from PC to MH lighting but now it is almost 2 months later and it keeps getting worse.
The parameters are:
Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
Phosphates - 0 (just in case of false reading I have added phosphate removers hoping to eliminate the algea)
calcium is at 450
Alk is at 8.0
salinity is 1.023
temp is 78-80
running (3) 250 watt MH bulbs for 6 hours a day
circulation is 18x
did a 15% water change last week and no improvement
I have even noticed the back glasee getting fuzzy looking algea on it recently. The LFS said it could be that I dont have enough coral in the tank to compensate for the fish. He recommended adding more corals to help with the issue. I just cant figure out what im missing. The only additives I use are Phyto, B-ionic, and Kalk. I know this is a common question but I was hoping someone would see something that im overlooking. I dont want to run a rufe under the tank but would a small 24" hang on back fuge filled with Cheata help?

K

kpatrick

couple things i forgot.
Using a skimmer
fish include:
Hippo tang
Foxface
3 perc clowns
royal gramma
2 clown gobies
watchman goby
corals include:
2 large colonies if zoos ( havent opened much in last 2 weeks)
large toad stool
large clot coral
3 large colonies of star polyps
finger coral
bubble coral
ricordias (8 polyps)
mushroons
2 fuzzy mushrooms (4 inch diameter)

clarkiiclo

Adding the fuge will help because the Chaeto will compete with the hair algae for nutrients.
Also how long is your photo period?
Also you might not see any phosphate reading because from what I understand the phosphates are housed in the hair algae and not free floating.
Also your foxface doesnt eat the algae?
I have had good luck with Emerald crabs.

K

kpatrick

Clarkii,
The foxface cant keep up with it and I have tried emerald crabs a few times but im not sure if the brittle star eats them when they molt or if the strawberry crabs eat them but for some reason I cant keep emeralds but I can keep strawberries.
I think the 24" hang on back refugiums are only 3 or 4 gallons and even if it was packed with cheata would that be enough for a 125 gallon tank? I know bigger is better but I dont want to run plumbing under the tank.
The photo period is 6 hours

E

eaglefan

I feel your pain, for the last two months I have been fighting hair algae. It looks like I might have it under control now.
The only reason i could find that started it was old bulbs (I never new that this would cause algae found out the hard way)
What i did to slow it down and hopefully get rid of it. Hand picked it off the rocks everyday. If it got to bad I pulled the rocks out of the tank and scaped them down in a bucket of saltwater. I also added 48 hermits 12 mexican turbos 50 other nassuis snails and 4 sea hares. So far so good.
I to have a foxface, lmb and a sailfin and they just couldn't keep up.
Don't let it frustate you like it did me and you'll get it knocked out

jauringer

The LFS said it could be that I dont have enough coral in the tank to compensate for the fish. He recommended adding more corals to help with the issue
:hilarious that is hilarious.
How often and how much are you feeding.
did a 15% water change last week and no improvement
try doing this every couple days for a few weeks along with discontinued use of Phyto and only feed every other day. Rowaphos should help to consume Po4 before the algae does as well.
ClarkiiClo is right. your not going to get a PO4 reading.

K

kpatrick

jauringer,
I will keep up with freq. water chenges. Why do you recommend not using phyto? what are the corals going to eat?
fish feedings are done every other day. I try to make sure im not over feeding.

jauringer

rest assure, Your corals have more than enough to eat. Maybe a little too much since you have an algae problem. Phyto is fueling the algea growth. By stopping phyto, watch your feeding, and around 3-4 water changes a week with properly mixed saltwater, I'll bet anything that you won't have any hair algae in three or four weeks.