What are good books to read?

dafunkyman

I was looking through a list of extremely helpful tips in the beginners area and started reading the sum and wet dry filter tips. I am having trouble with these two so I liked these threads alot. Then i started to think about if I should get a book for some info. Assuming that all of the experienced people here have read at least a few books, which ones do you recommend?

kylev

I really enjoyed The Conscientisous Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner, it does a good job of covering all the things you need to know when first dealing with saltwater tanks, I learned a lot from it

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///forum/thread/380114/what-are-good-books-to-read#post_3307380
I really enjoyed The Conscientisous Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner, it does a good job of covering all the things you need to know when first dealing with saltwater tanks, I learned a lot from it
Absolutely, this is the book i have read. Combine that book with all of the sights on the internet that I have gone to, fishlore.com and others, I have gained some really good knowledge. I think most of the experienced members here consider me "knows enough to be dangerous" when I try to help out. But atleast I tell people to not trust me as I am new.

dafunkyman

I have read Saltwater for Dummies and I will try to get ahold of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. Besides fishlore.com what are other good sites?

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkyman http:///forum/thread/380114/what-are-good-books-to-read#post_3307948
I have read Saltwater for Dummies and I will try to get ahold of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. Besides fishlore.com what are other good sites?
I have heard from many LFS clerks (who know nothing themselves) that SWT 4 dummies is a waste of time book. Fenner's book, fishlore.com and the other site i try to find info on, www.aquaticcommunity.com, works relatively well. The absolute best thing to do, if you are trying to stay cheap, is to read all the threads in the beginers section here. There is a ton of info here and it sure seems to be 100% spot on. Worse comes to worse, post your question and we can try to answer it. But definatly get that book, it will pay for itself sooner rather than later.

geoj

Algae: A Problem Solver Guide by: Julian Sprung
Marine Chemistry by: CR Brightwell
Marine Fishes by: Scott Michael
Marine Invertebrates by: Ronald Shimek

And of course, The Art of War by: Sun Tzu, A must read...

kylev

Plus odds are that anything you might have a question about a few people have asked it before so just search on the site and read away, I've answered a lot of questions I had that way. Then when you start your tank make a diary thread and you'll get suggestions/input all along the way