what are the basics in a nano tank

bigarn

Same as in any other tank ... water quality .... but much harder to maintain than larger tanks IMO.

bigarn

Originally Posted by victor52
no not what i mean equipment
A good HOB filter, heater and a couple of powerheads worked for me.

nygel

i used a biowheel in my ten, i still have it on my 29, but added a canister filter. Good lighting too, pending on wat type of setup you want.

laddy

Originally Posted by bigarn
A good HOB filter, heater and a couple of powerheads worked for me.
Me too.....good to see you BigArn.
You can pretty much run a standard nano with minimal equipment if you are willing to put in the time it takes to make water changes, top offs, Alk/Ca adjustments if you keep corals, general cleaning. If you have no outside responsibilities (life, work, marriage, kids, what-not) then taking care of a small tank is relatively easy. However, people find larger tanks easier to take care of b/c the requirements are a little less, with respect to time. Case in point, my 10g evaporates a substantial % of water on a hot day, my 55g, a little but not a high %. It's all relative.

blizz75

depends on what size if u get into the 29g or larger, from experience, id put a skimmer on because the cleaner the water the less water changes, less deaths and more fish u can keep.

bojik

Originally Posted by blizz75
depends on what size if u get into the 29g or larger, from experience, id put a skimmer on because the cleaner the water the less water changes, less deaths and more fish u can keep.
AMEN.
A biowheel filter works great. But a powerhead for more flow is typically needed (if you aren't using a HOB power skimmer). Though if you want light current corals. It is many times sufficient for many corals of that variety. IME anyways. Though it depends on filter size vrs tank size. I've read on here some people end up removing the biowheel from the filter due to nitrate issues. Live rock + biowheel = too much nitrate production ,bassically, in their cases. You will want good additives if you plan on corals. Tend to keep a declorniated FW gallon jug of water handy for daily top offs. (works for me) Also pays to have a premixed gallon jug of SW too. Keep in mind to retest salinity when you take the lid off after storing for a while.

bojik

Hang On Back :) some good reef trace element salt and a all in one aditive should suffice for softies.

bojik

Originally Posted by victor52
like is there a spacific name brand for additives you use for your tank
the most prefered i know of are seachem and kent marine