What are the pros and cons of having a Snowflake Eel-?

sepulatian

SFE's are nice to have, but think of them as a snake that lives in water. You cannot keep other smaller fish with them. Anything that fits in their mouth is a potential meal. You can keep larger fish with them, but not in a 55. They do not bite corals, but may knock some over.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by RumRunner
I freshwater dip all my fish to help decrease the chances of disease. Here is a link for more info: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyp.../ht_fwbath.htm
I usually quarantine fish in a 20g long tank for a few weeks also, but I wouldn't be able to eel proof that tank. So I opted to go with the dip and direct into the tank. Extra work for sure, but I have learned my lesson in the past from total tank wipeout.
Being that you dipped an eel, you may be ok. FW dips do NOT ensure that you won't introduce a parasite into your tank. Set up and maintain a QT tank. It is a lot less hassel, I guarantee!!!

G

gtdarock

I'm setting up my 175. Its cycling for 2 weeks now. I have a fish list in mind, with a Snowflake in it. But before I go out and get one, I want to here the pro and cons of having one. I must say- many thanks for all the input ! I even setup up a nice PVC home in my tank for a SFE. I'm 50/50 on getting one.

miamireefr

small fish can hang with an sfe imo. It simply depends on the eels personality. Every fish as most stories you read throughout this forum are different (tankmates and compatibility) wise. Everyone has oddball matches althugh maybe 9 out 10 times the general facts are valid there are people who succeed at keeping fish together you shouldn't. But most will play it safe and not try for the sorry :)
These guys are great friends so far for about 1.5 years.

old pic of my eel. about 2' long now and about a half inch fatter in diameter.