What are the small red critters on my shrooms?

azreefgirl

I noticed small rust-colored type splotches on my mushrooms when I got them, and I just figured they were part of the mushroom's coloring. Now I'm noticing that these little things are moving around. I haven't noticed them on anything else in the tank, but I have noticed that when there's several of them on any given shroom, that the shroom seems to be irritated/bothered by their presence and will shrivel up. What are they? Are they harmful? How can I get rid of them? Sorry for the crappy pics, but hopefully you can see them well enough to offer some suggestions!

lion_crazz

Yep, sounds like that to me as well. If so, get rid of them, ASAP. You do not want them to begin to spread and reproduce. Take the rock out, dip the rock in a reef dip with iodine, and then if any remain, suck them off with a siphon or turkey baster.

azreefgirl

Fabulous. My Four Wheel Drive Goby has made his home under my shroom rock. He's going to be hating me for removing it. Now I'll have to deal with his attitude. Great.

lion_crazz

No problem! Just be sure to get them out. You do not want flat worms all over the place. It is a terrible pain to get rid of once you really have them.