What are these hitchhikers?

spyder78

I noticed what appears to be some sort of worm on a couple of my snails. Can anyone help identify them? Do they need to be removed? I'm still pretty new at this, and I don't know what these are. Any input would be helpful.

120reefer

Hey, cool, kinda hard from the pics... but looks like feather dusters
Totally harmless and if you look hard enough you'll probably find them on your live rock as well. There just a simply filter feeder, but look pretty cool.

M

medic79

Thats so cool all I have on my snails are vermitid snails.

spyder78

Thanks! I had a feeling that's what they were, but I wanted another opinion.
How big do feather dusters get, and do they require any special conditions?

M

medic79

they're filter feeders so you don't have to d o anything special for them just keep doing what ever your doing a few months ago I had a couple on a rock and now it's a duster cluster. I don't know how they reproduce but I've never done anything special for them.

120reefer

Not really sure on how big they'll get... at least not that species of duster... but i have a few similar on a piece of LR about the size of a nickel fully opened under MH lighting! Pretty big in my book. As far as special conditions... just decent water quality, and they're filter feeders so no feeding necessary. They're a pretty hardy specimen considering a lot make it a few days out of water when shipping on LR