What are these things?

robvia

I have some white specs growing on the back wall of my tank. They look almost like a spiral tube. Could be a snail, but I didn't think saltwater snails would reproduce in your tank. I will try to get a picture, but don't have one right now. Any ideas?

footbag

They are worms. Spirro-something. They are a sign of a healthy system and nothing to worry about.

robvia

I would expect tube worms on the rock, but not all over the back glass. They don't seem to move, at least I can't see them moving. I also saw what looks like a pod in a sponge in the tank. First one of those I've seen. Any chance someone has a good picture of the worm? I'm worried it's some kind of snail and if left alone it will overtake the tank. There is algae on the back wall that they could be feeding off of.

clarkiiboi

From your description, that is what I was going to say. I got behind on reading posts, so sorry its so late to respond. They are harmless and come and go, if they get on the front or sides of the glass, just clean them off--wont hurt anything. Side note--snails can and have reproduced in a home tank, but survival isn't high. Look for pods after lights have been off with a flashlight---they are more nocturnal. HTH

robvia

I hope the pods take off and do well. I really like the green mandarin, but won't get one 'til there are enough pods for him.