What are these things?

tacks

Sorry I don't have a pic. I recently bought another 45lbs of LR to go in my 125g. I've noticed little white/clear cone shaped things in my CC about 1/4 inch long. They are growing rapidly. Are these feather dusters? They are all over.

tacks

They don't appear to move. I don't know how else to describe them. Cylinder shaped growing like a tree out of the ground...

justinl

I have them also. they look like pearl onions that have been cut in half. Not sure what they are though.

fshhub

do they stick fast to the glass, if so , my scooter loves them, we tried to pop them off the glass, then he went nutzoid, trying to eat them all, however a better description woud help a bit

tacks

They don't stick to the glass. They have an opening at the top and look kinda fuzzy. They also have a hairlike fringe forming at the top.
[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: Tacks ]

lionfish

Lionfish says........
No worries. This are not harmful in the least bit. Although, I don't know the name of these I have several of these in my reef tank. They are just common filter feeders that can be found in almost any reef tank. They grow in the sand, some grow on the glass and I have quite a population of them in my protien skimmer. They haven't gotten to an ecedm,ic proportion so I figure they are harmless and they don't bother any of my tank's inhabitants. In fact, my swissguard basslet occasionally nips them. I say they are nothing to worry about but I really don't know what they are besides filter feeders.