What are these things???

cjrose

I have a 125gl tank that's been up and running for about 7-8 months. It's a FOWLR, though there aren't any fish in it right now just some inverts.
I noticed that there are little white bugs on the glass. They are really tiny. Could they be pods? I noticed a few nights ago that there are these tiny spiral things on the glass, live rock and on my turbo snails. I read that these could be feather dusters. They have really bloomed in the past couple of days. I also noticed that there are red dots on the glass. I can't scrape it off either. Tried using my fingernail and had no luck. One other thing, I was just looking at one of my turbo snails and I noticed these antenna looking things sticking out of it's shell, There were I think 3 pairs of them sticking straight up and wiggling around.
Thanks!

cranberry

I do't know about the red dots on the glass that I couldn't scrape off with a nail. Do you have those softy bendy nails?

jojo_b

The red stuff may be the beginnings of coralline algae, especially if they are tough to get off the glass... But without seeing a picture it's hard to tell.
I'm pretty sure that you can buy scrapers that can do the trick of removing them, if they bother you.

flower

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3140594
I was blessed with nails of steele.... I can eliminate coralline with a single swipe of the finger.

I envy you!...for those of us not so blessed...an old credit card makes a fantastic scraper. The mag floats won't work.