What are these?

wax32

This pic captures 2 things. One egg sack looking thing and one polyp of some kind. The polyp has been on the LR since I got it, the egg sack looking thing just appeared.

shnabbles

THe polp thing you are describing looks like aiptasia (spelling)
they are like weeds, you want to remove this sucka ASAP..
I highly recommend 2-5 peppermint shrimp

amistad

The polyp looking thing is aptstaisia (sp?) it is a pest and should be watched so it doesn't take over (multiply) I'm not sure what the other thing is. :notsure: It looks similar to a type of clam I had on my live rock when I got them.

wax32

The polyp in the pic is the largest. I'd say I have about a dozen smaller ones scattered around. Once my cycle is over I can maybe add some shrimp and see what happens.

bigarn

I don't think it's a polyp....looks like aiptasia to me. Does the egg sack looking thing move? Looks like it could be a pod or a snail. :D

wax32

Well, the pod looking egg-sack thing WAS floating around at the surface, I stuck a net in the tank to scoop up a styrofoam bead that must've been stuck to the LR and it sunk down and stuck to the rock and has been there since, about 2 days.

shnabbles

Many people will argue this... but shrimp will live through a cycle... It sounds like that stuff is already spreading, and the #1 killer for aiptasia is peppermint shrimp.

nacl-h2o

Whether or not any shrimp can survive a cycle or not, depends on how hard the tank cycles. I wouldn't recommend shrimp until the cycle is over. You would better serve yourself by using Joes Juice or kalk paste. Actually if it cycles hard enough it will kill the aiptasia, but I wouldn't rely on it. HTH

wax32

Got up this morning and ran my tests. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10. Looks like I'm golden. Tomorrow when my LFS opens I'll be buying some Joe's Juice. And then I'll be ready to stock slowly!