What are you opinions on...

the_hadleys

Green Chromis's?
We've got a 34G RSM, it's been up for about a month and half now. Water has been testing well, our corals (frogspawn, torch, and long leather polyp) are beautimous, our fish (lawmower Blenny and percula clown) and inverts (2 cleaner shrimp, hermits, turbo snails) are all eating and swimming happily.
I was wanting to add some more color to the tank and love the aquamarine color of the green chromis. I was thinking of getting three since they're schooling fish. I noticed that they listed under damsels though on SWF and I know damsels can be little hellions. The description said they were peaceful... but I was just looking for people's opinions/experiences about the fish.
Thanks!!

Personally, I enjoy mine. Very active and docile towards other fish(IME). However, they can be agressive towards each other. Odd numbers of them work the best but be aware if you lose one of the three there is a good possibility one of the two that is left will be knocked off. I had three in a 29 with a LB, Royal Gramma and two clowns and they did fine. (They are still doing fine in the bigger tank I moved them into going on two years now)

Just get smaller ones and get more than 2 and you should be fine. The chromis are not aggressive at all towards other fish.

mantisman51

My two chromis are a little picky with each other, but for several months have been ok together. I have a 125g tank with lots of LR, so that might be why they are chums. I have read alot of sad stories about them in small tanks, though.

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2963815
they will kill each other in your 34 unless you get small ones all at the sametime and none bigger than another

+1
Chromis are a lot more docile than other damsels, but they are more likely to get aggressive if crowded. I never had any trouble with my green chromis, but that was in a 175 gallon.

crypt keeper

Its not about the fish being aggressive towards other fish. That is well established. They will and do kill each other. The large one will pick off the smaller ones to show dominance. You get smaller ones. Get like 3 and hope for the best. They will attack each other only not other fish. There is another thread on here and a guy had like 7 and three days later had 5 then 3.

Originally Posted by The_Hadleys
http:///forum/post/2963272
Thanks for sharing!
BTW, really like your avatar! What kind of anemone is that? It's lovely!
Thanks. It is my LTA. Good luck with the green chromis if you decide to get them. They really are a great addition.

the_hadleys

Hmm... maybe we'll stick with a simpler fish until we get more experience and a bigger tank... Thanks everyone for the input!!