what are your thoughts on this..

skirrby

im going to be buying a 58 gallon cube tank and stand from a local reefer.. but hes unsure of the tanks strength.. he said
"Nope not tempered. It was drilled by Oceanic at the factory but I drilled the back for a 2" bulkhead and four 1" bulkheads for a closed loop system. I dont drill very often so I am nervous about its strength"
well i agreed to buy it anyways.. cause i can always use it for our snake or something if it dont work out. but in your opinion what do you think about the strength of the tank? would that many holes compramise alot of the strength? or should it possibly be ok?
heres a shot of it before it was drilled.

brainrush

I don't know. The last thing you want to do is wake up one mornign with all of you tank water and tank friends on the floor.
You have to be pretty careful when drilling glass. The smallest crack could grow really fast once you add the weight of water, sand and rocks.
Did the guy you are getting it from have it set-up and running? How long ago did he drill it? Why is he getting rid of it?
It would make me nervous to use it for fish, especially since he seemed nervous about his drilling abilities.

skirrby

yeah my plans were to fill it up out back, and leave it for a few days.. see if any cracks, leaks, or exposions happen.. its only costing me 50 bucks for the tank, and stand.. so if the tank goes boom.. not really a big deal, just go get a new tank.