What are your thoughts

kiefers

For the past several months, I have used Dt's live phytoplankton. I have seen results in all areas of my live stock, but I am unable to deterimine if it was due to the Dt or just my new way of doing certain things.
Do any of you have any opinions on this product.

snakeblitz33

I have used it pretty much all throughout my hobby days. Having it present in the water column seems to help a lot of filter feeding inverts and corals. Feeding it live seems to make the quality of the tank water better than if you fed dead critters outta a bottle with some preservative.
I mix DT's Live Phytoplankton with my home made fish food - so not only does my fish food feed the fish, but it also feeds the corals. :D

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392527/what-are-your-thoughts#post_3486019
I have used it pretty much all throughout my hobby days. Having it present in the water column seems to help a lot of filter feeding inverts and corals. Feeding it live seems to make the quality of the tank water better than if you fed dead critters outta a bottle with some preservative.
I mix DT's Live Phytoplankton with my home made fish food - so not only does my fish food feed the fish, but it also feeds the corals. :D
I love the stuff, kinda funny smelling. I opened a new jar of it last week and oh my lord was it bad. It stunk up the entire downstairs very quickly and even gagged the Dog.
I took it back today and the manager said "it is supposed to smell" and as he was going through the chemistry break down and what it does and stuff, I opened the bottle and he just sat there and kindly asked me to please put the lid back on and we will replace it.
There entire stock was bad. Lol..... My tank is missing the everyother day feeding.

snakeblitz33

Aww man, that sucks. I'm glad you had enough sense not to put it in your tank.
The worse it smells, the more dead the algae is and has decomposed. There will be some die off even in new bottles... but it should definitely not stink.
If you get a new bottle that IS NOT bad, you can continuously grow phyto yourself in some two liter bottles - and always feed your tank fresh phyto and never have to pay for it again...
Just trying to get those gears rotating for yah.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392527/what-are-your-thoughts#post_3486028
Aww man, that sucks. I'm glad you had enough sense not to put it in your tank.
The worse it smells, the more dead the algae is and has decomposed. There will be some die off even in new bottles... but it should definitely not stink.
If you get a new bottle that IS NOT bad, you can continuously grow phyto yourself in some two liter bottles - and always feed your tank fresh phyto and never have to pay for it again...
Just trying to get those gears rotating for yah.

okay...... I'm reading!

snakeblitz33

HAHAHA... You're crazy.
Anyways,... dude, there is a lot of information on culturing phytoplankton on the internet... if you have any questions about specifics, I might be able to help you.
Heck, they even make a "phytoplankton culture station" for home use... It looks pretty neat and takes a lot of the DIY out of it.