What attracts you?

mylady

I'm wondering what each person first seems to notice when it comes to a coral they really like. Color, shape, hard, soft, etc? What do you like about your corals and why? Monsi loves zoas but I can't seem to get as enthused by them. I think color might attract me at first, but the next thing that attacts me how they behave, The one thing I love about my bubble coral is it never looks the same, It changes and is always interesting to watch. I like the coral that "move" in the flow of the tank. There is something very serene about watching that.

btldreef

I really like flowing corals that move with the current, especially LPS like torch, frogspawn, goniopora, etc. This is probably why I also love anemones. I like SPS for the colors, but I'm not the biggest fan. My husband is the SPS head. I could like with a tank full of LPS and colorful reef fish.

slice

When I envision what my tank should look like, I see a total presentation instead of individual specimens. I like contrast in textures, complementary colors. I want soft flowing, accentuated with hard spiky. I want bright and subdued colors that go well together, not clown makeup.
I've seen pics of some beautiful specimens, but the FTS makes me think "ewww". I have not seen much, if any of that here, btw...
What I don't care for is the "candy store shelf" look with various coral placed all over the place without some unified theme.

monsinour

For me, there is elegence in simpleness. Zoas are really simple, thus they are a shinning sample of elegence.

flower

I see my tank as a whole
I love the look of an overcrowded full healthy reef, with one favorite as a center piece. No matter where you look, there is color, and or movement...an abundance of life.
Fish swimming in and out of caves and under hidden places behind the rocks loaded with coral. I’m a little anal..I like a little of the same coral in different areas, I don’t want red here and blue there, or LPS in that corner I want it all evenly spaced out, it just looks better to me that way. I will take my coral and frag it after it gets too large, then place it in another area of the tank, if the proper conditions exist for it to live in another spot..
I do not like a busy tank with fish bumping into each other like it’s working alive like maggots. I like lots of coral but only a few very colorful or interesting fish to add pizzazz. I like it when visitors or Grandkids come and look at my tank, looking at the corals then a fish comes out for a moment and I here them say ...OOO look at that!

sapper577

This is an interesting post. After being out of the hobby for awhile, it is kinda giving me ideas of how I want my new setup to be. Flower's post is more of what I'm leaning towards. My favorite center piece will be orange monti with a few other SPS placed around the upper column with a few colorful LPS filling in with a collection of leathers down on the lower portion of my tank. This thread will keep me in check when I start aquascaping and thinking of second and third effects of my placement of my rock. I think to much... One of the reasons I take so much time with every project I do.

blackjacktang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/383615/what-attracts-you#post_3356420
I really like flowing corals that move with the current, especially LPS like torch, frogspawn, goniopora, etc. This is probably why I also love anemones. I like SPS for the colors, but I'm not the biggest fan. My husband is the SPS head. I could like with a tank full of LPS and colorful reef fish.
Same about the flowing corals for me