What bird is this?

scottminot

Was out for a hike today and saw this bird hanging out on a rock outcropping and snapped a few pics of it before it spotted me. Is it some kind of hawk? I saw a bunch of hawks circling overhead and thought this might be one their buddies.

scottminot

Just did a search for vultures and I think it might be a turkey vulture. I had no idea we had vultures in PA. The only vultures that I ever saw were the ones you see on tv munching on some roadkill on a desert highway.

ya we have turkey vulchers in tx, they look like that and they do exactly what you saw on tv. disquisting but its useful.

socal57che

Originally Posted by scottminot
http:///forum/post/2584762
Just did a search for vultures and I think it might be a turkey vulture. I had no idea we had vultures in PA. The only vultures that I ever saw were the ones you see on tv munching on some roadkill on a desert highway.
Commonly known throughout the midwest as a buzzard.

robn70

Another vote for turkey vulture. I've seen quite a few of them growing up in NJ (probibly looking for Jimmy Hoffa's body.
) Still see many here in VA. I think they may be found living in most of the lower 48 states.

digitydash

They will live any where their is road kill.They are protected in florida cause they clean up the dead animals.