What book(s) are you reading right now?

mrdc

Since reality shows have destroyed TV, I have been reading more books than ever. I have recently read the Art of Happiness, A Bridge Too Far and now I am reading A Game of Thrones which is a 4 book set and is taking forever to read!!
So what are you reading?

mrdc

Book 5? My book set only has 4 books
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Drangons
I just looked and I see there is also one called A Feast for Crows. So now I need to research to see if the feast for crows is incorporated into my set or if I need to buy a whole new book. Grrrr!

dragonzim

That's odd. Feast for Crows is book 4, between Storm of Swords and Dance with Dragons. This is from Martin's website:
A Game of Thrones, Bantam Books, 1996
A Clash of Kings, Bantam Books, 1999
A Storm of Swords, Bantam Books, 2000
A Feast for Crows, Bantam Books, 2005
A Dance with Dragons, Bantam Books 2011
The Winds of Winter, forthcoming/Bantam Books
A Dream of Spring, forthcoming/Bantam Books

mrdc

Yeah, you are right. I must have looked at something wrong on my set because I am sure I have a feast for crows now. I am halfway done with a storm of swords so I guess I will need to look for a deal on the dance with dragons so I will have it when I get there. And dang, there are two more books coming? Will there ever be an end? LOL!

dragonzim

7 books is nothing! Try Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" at 12 books or Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" at 13 books with the final 14th still to come. There are all 800-1000 page books. Jordan died before finishing and the last 3 books are being written by a guy named Brandon Sanderson by using Jordan's notes and with help from Jordan's wife, who was his editor. The problem with Martin is that he just takes too damn long between books. It was 5 years between "Crows" and "Dragons" I'm hoping that since the TV show was such a huge hit that he'll get on the ball and get the books out a little faster. They are doing 1 season of the show per book and at the rate that he's been writing, the show will catch up long before he gets the next book out.

mrdc

The show is what got me to read them. Someone talked about how much they liked the show and I decided to read the books first since I didn't want to wait for each season to come out on HBO. I guess I will finish the ones already written before he completes the set. I was just looking at Sword of Truth and I may start it next since the reviews look pretty good.

slice

Just finished Dale Brown's Executive Intent.
I have all his books except the latest one that came out this past May.
Someday, I will re-read Kurt Vonnegut Jr's books...

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdc http:///t/387900/what-book-s-are-you-reading-right-now#post_3416712
The show is what got me to read them. Someone talked about how much they liked the show and I decided to read the books first since I didn't want to wait for each season to come out on HBO. I guess I will finish the ones already written before he completes the set. I was just looking at Sword of Truth and I may start it next since the reviews look pretty good.
Sword of Truth is a fantastic series.

teresaq

I'm reading Shogun then I will be reading Land of painted Caves - jean Auel -- then I will start the game of thrones series. I have a nook so I will down load them as I need them.

S

siptang

I have been foreign reading historic books talking about eastern artifacts that people can't explain fully yet and theorizing about them.
Yes, I'm a nerd lol.

snakeblitz33

Lemme see:
Aquarium Corals, Selectrion, Husbandry and Natural History by Eric Borneman
Algae by Julian Sprung
The Reef Aquarium: Vol 3, Art, Science and Technology by Sprung and Delbeek
I'm reading The Reef Aquarium is backwards order, Vol. 2 and Vol. 1 are still to come.
Other then that, I've been reading a lot of Piers Anthony lately - Xanth series like "Demons Don't Dream" and "The Color of her Panties." hahaha You gotta know Xanth to get it.

mrdc

I used to read nothing but horror books but King doesn't put out much anymore and he has lost his touch IMO. Koontz books are easy reads but forgettable though Odd Thomas was pretty good. I then got into a lot of crime books but fell out of favor with them. After reading Lord of Rings, I started reading more fantasy books and it seems I shouldn't run of that genre of books for a long time. I do like some non-fiction books but prefer fiction which I guess is a tied into my love of a good fictional movie.
Man what a boring day at work today!

snakeblitz33

I like Simon Clark. He writes good horror books.
I don't think anthony does anymore. I'm a slow reader when it comes to novels.

snakeblitz33

Only complete series I ever read was the Ender searies by Orson Scott Card. It was pretty good for science fiction. I believe Ender's Game and Ender in Exile were the two best ones. Some people really like Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide...

mrdc

Halway through book 4 on game of thrones. Guess I need to go ahead and by the 5 book and I think I will also get the first book of sword of truth.