WHAT BRAND RO/DI do you have?

HI,
I am going to buy a RO/DI unit but have some questions first.
Please help or chime in if you can please
First: What Brand do any of you have?
Second; Is 35 G per day OK? Why would I need nore than that? LOL
Third: I DONT want it to hang on the back, under or ON the tank.. I would like to run it in the basement and use the RO/DI water when I need it.. , Is that how it works?? I can buy a holding bin for it right? OR covered trashcan?
I think I am confusing myself... Please explaine the different kinds you guys run... # of stages and stuff too.. Keeping in mind the cost of replacement filters and such. How often do I need to change them, do they last a good amount of time?
SO far choices are...
SpectraPure, AquaFX,Coralife purflow,Kent Marine.. BOY am I confused! Sorry so many questions, but a big purchase, wanna like the one I get..
Thanking you Kindly,. Kim

promisetbg

Mine is called Aquamaxx..I have it piggy-backed with another 3 stage holder,it is seven stages..2 RO's and 2 DI's.More to confuse you I know.It runs directly to my sump for top-offs utilizing a float valve..and leads to an auto-water change tank.I do test it often to make sure my TDS is at 0,by using a TDS meter.I think mine is presently at 75 GPD.

Thanks for your replies..... WOW, didnt even see those brands.. Im gonna do more searches..
WOW.. 7 stages.. WOW.. and I thought 4 was a lot.. LOLOL
Thanking you kindly, Kim

streetdoc

I currently have an Aqua Safe system. 6 stages and I believe 75 GPD. It has worked well for me but I plan on getting a larger capacity for the next one. Less time to fill the containers and longer overall life. I'll just have to balance the GPD to price.

nm reef

I currently don't have one of my own. I've always purchased my water lcally rom a family owned H2O Express store. Initially he only had RO filtered water primarily for drinking. A year or so ago he added a Spectrapure RO/DI unit for folks like me....I use a lot of his water and I've generated a lot of local business for him via other hobbyists so I still get my water - .23 cents on the gallon. I do plan to eventually install a RO/DI at the house and develop a automated top-off system but there are other pressing matters to deal with first.:thinking:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I use AirwaterIce which has done well by me. Its not really the brand that matters, though, but the filters that you put into the "brand". So, pay attention to that. I think AirwaterIce is the cheaper of the most commonly used brands.
I run an RO/DI and I get zero TDS readings when my filters are new.
There have been several discussions on brands. If you will do a search on the subject here, you should get a whole lot of info and some pictures of setups as well.

Thanks a lot guys, will do that search as well... There are just so many out there, makes it confusing. I DONT want to attach it to my tank.. I want to run it in the basement and then keep water in a storage bin for future use.. :notsure:
Kim

robchuck

Air Water Ice for me too. I just moved into a new house this past week and just placed an order for another Typhoon III this morning. AWI packages a quality filter, gives you everything you need in a package and has outstanding customer service.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Most people do use it for water storage. One thing to consider about the "basement" idea is, do you really want to haul water up from the basement to where you need it?
Spectrapure
Kent
Airwaterice
are good choices, but as I said, it is the filter that goes inside the system that counts, so spend your time research that not the brand.

Thanks a bunch, YES, I would think the cartridges would be a HUGE concideration..
Availability, cost, quality...
Thanks a bunch, Kim
As for the basement...a water change is about 7-10 gallons or so, maybe less, so I could say thats my CARDIO!! LOL
So, as my SWF raises my BP, (cuz of the mantis) the cardio will lower it.. HAHA
:happy: :happy: :happy:
Kim

reefnut

I have a Typhoon III... and it's located in the basement. It's hooked up to a 40g rubbermade trash can... works great :)

OK,
I just decided on the AWI Typhoon 3... $199.00
The 75 and 100 GPD are the same price BUT as I read, if you dont NEED the larger output the 75 is recommended.
I dont plan on ordering any cartridges because it says they should be changed annually with average use. Is this your experience, or should I add the replacement filters NOW because the shipping would be the same..; "no extra charge".
YEAH.... Thanks for all your help.
Thanking you kindly. Kim

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by acrylic51
Just ordered a Typhoon III to replace the Kent Maxima!!!!!

Why? :confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Kim, if the larger was the same price, then get the larger. It simply means that your holding tank will fill up faster.
You should also go ahead and get the TDS meter. You may get a discount with it if you buy with a system. Using this meter will tell you exactly when to change you filters.
A year is really too long to wait to change filters, but you don't need to get the replacement filters now. You can wait on that.

mburnickas

I must ask the same question, why.
I use a Kent Maxima and it is perfect. THe filters make the unit, not the name. That is where the TDS comes in.
The GPD is really I joke I feel. If you read the fine print, the GPD is only achieved at the correct temp and pressure. My temp is much lower then called and my psi in my house is very high , too high (82 psi)