What brown algea is growing on the bottom of my tank?

Fin

Hi,
I recently got into the reefing hobby after years of fresh water aquariums, and am new to what algae are good/bad. It is brown and coats almost all the sand in my tank. It has bubbles that are hanging on by a slimish stand and read it could be Dinoflagellates algae (Praying it isn't because it could kill everything in my tank). If anyone could get back to me that would be great.
Thanks Fin

Fin

I went to my LFS and they said take sand out, wash in freshwater and leave to dry which is what I did

bang guy

The best way to prevent Diatoms is to limit Silicates. Once they are there.... it's tough to get rid of.

Fin

I have seahorses, and was wondering what fish I can keep with them that will eat the diatoms.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
I have seahorses, and was wondering what fish I can keep with them that will eat the diatoms.
I would use a gravel vacuum and siphon the sand when you do water changes. Some blue legged Hermit Crabs would also help.

Fin

I took a sample to the store and it's dinoflagellates algae. I tried taking out the sand again, came back so I tried the blackout. It came back. I bought Dino X and hoping it works