What bulb set up should I do?

pbienkiewi

I upgraded my 48" 54 watt T-5 ballast with two coralvue 660 ballasts. I currently have the following bulb set up.
ATI Blue plus
Aquablue
UV Aquasun
Giesemann Pure Actinic
Aquablue
ATO Blue Plus
Is this bulb configuration still ok seeing that they are being overdriven? Or what bulbs should I use to get the most bang out of my corals? I have mostly sps corals.
Since overdriving the T-5 HO lights I have had to add a fan on the otherside to help push air threw the lights to help cool it off because it is extremly hot! I went to clean the plexyglass light cover and cooled it off to quicky and put a small bow in it. It still fits and works but I have to be careful!
Thanks

snakeblitz33

what size tank is this over... since it's a 48" tank, I assume that it can't be anymore than a 110g tall?
If this is over a 75g, you are fine. Even up to a 90g - your fine.
SPS corals can adapt to almost any lighting fixture as long as it's not too little PAR. Yours is fine without overdriving.
What you should be concentrating on more is reef nutrition and reefkeeping water quality and parameters... that's what really matters for making your corals colors pop. Even now, most experienced SPS keepers add amino acids and carbohydrates to the water column to stimulate colors. Also, the addition of vodka, sugar, or vinegar has also been proven to improve color and growth. You may want to also look into one of those processes if you are after growth and color.

pbienkiewi

oops It is a 75 gallon. So when I replace the bulbs I will keep the same light set up then. The ballast were getting extremly loud so I replaced both of them them with the coralvue 600's. It is a mature tank and I have been reefkeeping for a good 8 years now so I know what I am doing somewhat. lol
I will look into the Vodka, sugar, and vinegar. The vodka seems to be easy to do. I think the ratio should be 1 shot for me and 1/16 of a shot for the tank.