What Camera Do You Use?

fretfreak13

I was wondering if you guys could post what kind of cameras you use? I'm fifteen and am far from a master photographer, so I don't know didly about them. I'm looking to buy my boyfirend a camera for christmas, but it's kinda my present too because I'll be using it for pics of the tank. I'm looking to spend like 300 dollars at the most.
lol don't tell me that I shouldn't be buying expensive gifts for a boyfriend cause we'll brake up eventually. I know that, but it's kinda like a "boy next door/BFF since forever" kinda relationship. Even if we brake up we'll most likely still be friends. Plus we've already been dating for over a year. Annnd he just bought me a new phone. lol
Can you post pics of your tanks (or link me to your diary so I can look) as well as the equipment and what you payed for it? Thanks ahead of time, guys. After I buy this gift, all the money I get from then on will be saving up for my new halides! =D

mie

Of course I am kidding. I use a 350 dollar kodak. But I plan on investing in a decent rebel or canon. The cruciel piece is the macro lens.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3173301
You're kidding, right...?
Yes, I imagine he is.
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but most point-and-shoot cameras are not going to work well for fish photography. The delay between the shutter button press and when the actual picture is taken is a deal breaker... most fish move too fast. Even when they don't, the autofocus mechanism in those cameras won't keep up with the movement.
I used a point-and-shoot for a couple years on my tanks, it's just that I couldn't shoot a good portion of my stuff.
The best (and IMO only) camera for the job is a digital SLR, but you'll be hard pressed to find one for under $300. I use a Canon Rebel XTi. You can get a Rebel XS kit for about $500, and that's about the lowest price for a decent quality SLR.

fretfreak13

I'm looking more for shooting corals rather than fish. I have common fish, nothing too insane. I wan't something that will take nice, close up shots. Kinda how DeMartini's shots are of her zoas and acros.

Look for an advanced point and shoot that you can buy lenses for extra zoom and wide angle for. I had a kodak Z8612 and it did a great job in manual mode. Not sure how well it would fare in auto though... I got it on clearance for 120 but I don't think they sell it anymore, you could check the bay.
examples -
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...um%2029%20gal/
Feel free to check out any of the other albums too to see what I could do with that simple camera. None of those even have the additional lenses. Only real downfall I ran into was capturing true coral coloration with it. Before I got a chance to try out any add-on lenses it got stolen out of my car ... -.-
Other than that don't expect to be able to blow up a picture to massive proportions, but for a 16x20 print it did ok. For what I payed for it I would def buy it again! I would also recommend the rechargable battery but I used mine a ton, and lithium disposables get expensive!

adee

i have a DSLR, canon rebel xti, i love it. I paid $800 for the camera, kit lens, extra battery and memory card. ill post pictures later this afternoon when i have access to my files at home, im totally into photography and have won mail in amatuer photo contests that have photos appearing in magazines, local photography contests, internet photo contests, have been featured on brochures, exc.. ive had mine since 2006 and its served me well :) i wouldnt trade it for the world... but i also use it to take photos of my children and pets in addition to our fish tank.

i absolutely love doing photos of red eye tree frogs (we had a pair of them as pets about a year ago) and reptiles... these are two photos i won contests for, the magazine was photos of rabbits.

tokay gecko

our basset hound "Hazel" that had to be PTS several months ago, there is some post processing done on this photo

take a look around at the other threads in the "share your aquarium" section.. there are soem AMAZING photos! i havnt even come close to mastering photos in the tank department lol, if your interested in taking photos of corals you need a decent macro lens, the photo i posted of the frog was taken with my kit lens (18-55mm) on manual settings and "zoomed" all the way in (on those kinds of cameras you twist the lens to make it zoom in)

jackri

I use a Nikon D40 -- can handle most any of the nikon, nikkor lenses, easy to use and I really do love my camera.

asharp13

demartini uses a canon xti, ive asked here before. i am lloking into making a similar purchase but i like the slim design of the point and shoots cuz i will be using my cam for lots of stuff. there are some more advanced p&s out there that ive been looking at
1. canon s90
2. panasonic DMC-LX3K
im gonna do some more research on the subject at my local camera store and post what i find...hopefully tomorrow
as with anything, especially cameras ive already learned that there are a zillion of combinations so you have to figure out what features i really want and then go with the best fit.

reefraff

I have a Cannon XSI. I don't really take pictures of the fish or corals as much as I take pictures to demonstrate the color of lamps and their effects on the corals. In landscape mode this camera nails the true color of the tank better than anything I've seen.
This was a untouched picture of my tank with it. Color accuracy is great. Most tanks tend to look overly blue unless you tweak the settings.