What can i catch off the coast of Florida, east-coast, swimming distance?????????????

sethw

I may be going to a beach this weekend, can i catch anything like shrip or fish, with a cast net? How far out would i have to go for certain things, and which beach would be the best to find stuff? sebasitan, cocoa, datona, melbourne??? please let me know, and how to catch them...
thank you

gsd

Well unfortunately the majority of beaches on east and west coast of florida is nothing but barren sand bottom. Cast nets would be a big problem on any kind of submerged item on any beach. You may do better to snorkel along some jetties than try and catch any fish suitable for a tank with a cast net........Around submerged jetties or on a reef the best is a slurp gun. You need submerged structure to attract any fish so until you get aropund the jetties or down around the keys your probably spinning your wheels looking for critters for in your tank. Best check laws in regards to permits and what is legal to do and where.

sethw

Well OK, so there are some down by sebastian...but where do we go freom there, how can we catch fish from the ocean, with little nets, vaccums, ect...cast nets........IDK, please help me out

renogaw

they caught nemo with a 6" tank net :)
but seriously, make sure it is legal to farm the beaches, but i'd say grab a snorkel and mask and bring maybe a net with a long handle, some long, stainless tweasers and maybe something to push stuff aside. i would suggest also that you leave as much alone on the aquascape because fish have made the rocks their home--if you knock something over, put it back.

gsd

Evidently renogaw is not familliar with ther typical beaches found off Floridas east coast......unless there is a Jetty your not gonna find much of anything anywhere and even those jetties are questionable.....ya really need to get way out with scuba and a reef or other structure on the bottom or go further south intothe keys where stucture is present and more tropical types are to be found. They make a clear plastic net for such use, which is pretty darn invisible under water, slurp guns which are perhaps the best device, but cast nets are not a good choice.

miafish

You can also pick off some small critters that you find in the patches of seaweed. You can find small crabs and shrimp in there and would be easy to catch.

renogaw

actually, i can find out where, but i spent a week down in florida when my sister was getting married, and 20' off the beach were rocks and tons of fish. i don't know what type of fish, but there were a lot of them.

gsd

Your going to be in the vicinity of a large bay which has a lot of influence on the water and its inhabitants if yur heading to clearwater. Since the bottom is basically sand, sand and more sand in that region, as is most of rhe offshore areas off east and west florida and the panhandle area, pay attention to tide changes if your going to be looking around any jetties ast a opening into the gulf itself etc, as the tide can get you in serious trouble with currents.

rs1831

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
me and him are going to clearwater maybe this weekend
See, you are happy about the break up.