What can I do to get scratches out of my glass?

krishj39

I am buying a used 90 gallon glass tank that has some light scratches because the owner got sand in the magnet glass scraper one day. What can I do to get those out? I want to fix it before I set it up again. I can't find any products online designed for fixing aquarium glass scratches, and I am obviously wary of using products for removing scratches on eyeglasses or car windshields. Certainly there must be something out there. What do you guys do? Just use some special sandpaper perhaps? Thanks!
Kris

gregzbobo

I have used regular Bon Ami (NOT Comet!) to polish VERY light scratches out of car windshields before, just keep it rather moist. Dunno if it will work all that well on aquarium glass though. If you can catch a fingernail on it, it generally can't be polished out. Test it on an inconspicuous spot first, just in case.

S

starfishjackedme

That's true if you can hang your fingernail on it - it's too deep.

melbournefl

What about calling one of those windshield repair company's, they might come right to your house and fix the scratch right up for a reasonable price. Just a thought.
Later,
Paul

krishj39

Thanks Paul,
That is a good idea. I have a hunch though that what the windshield repair man would consider a reasonable cost would be different from what I consider to be reasonable ;) I can't believe there isn't a product out there designed to fix aquarium scratches. Someone should invent that and make some money! You know I'd buy some!
Kris

gregzbobo

They use a special resin for the windshield repairs. They probably won't bother with mere scratches. Would not hurt to call and see though. And yes, Bon Ami is a product similar to Comet, comes in a golden/yellow can just like a Comet can, should be pretty much right next to the Comet at the store in fact.

benthic

I was able to buff down a couple scratches on the front of my oceanic bow front (same reason, sand in magnetic cleaner :mad: ) with toothpaste. They are not gone, but they are not that noticeable anymore. I used a grittier, paste type, whitening brand, and swirled it on (w/ old cotton shirt) with a good bit of pressure for a while and then washed it off. I repeated this for 30-45 min or so. This may not be the best way but it really improved my situation.

newfishliny

Bon-ami is a great product, found in better stores, like mine a ace hardware store LOL.
also you can use Bar keepers friend- similar to bon-ami , also zud.
also try white polishing compond with a little water, test it first on a small piece of glass.
good luck