What can I do???

sj022698

Please look at my photo
My tank is tempered so I can't drill.
If it blows a circuit breaker it wouldn't come back on unless I flipped it, right? However a power outage in which the power just kicks off and comes back on would be more of a problem, correct?
I don't even have the water in my tank yet so I'm pretty unfamiliar with how that would all work. If that water siphons out, wouldn't it stop once it got below the overflow box since it has a U-Tube? I have about 5 gallons of empty space in my sump so wouldn't it just siphon into that and not overflow anything?
I'm just worried somehow my whole tank would drain or a mass amount of water on the floor while I'm out of town or at work.
I read this article. Should I buy this peice???
"How do you prevent the sump from overflowing in a power outage ??
As I stated above, Only the water in the tank that rises above the lip of the overflow box can flow down to the sump. It is impossible for the overflow box to ever drop the water level any lower than the lip of the overflow box. So, even with the power off, the water level in the tank will drop until the water level is just barely below the lip of the overflow box. You need to set up your sump and overflow box so that the sump can always hold that much water. In my 29g sump with the pump off, the sump should contain about 20 gallons of water. When the pump is running, the level in the main tank rises, and the level in the sump is around 10 gallons.
While it's true that the overflow box won't cause the sump to overflow, there is one situation that could if you don't take precautions. In a planted tank, we almost always want the pump-return output to be below the tank water level. Otherwise it creates a lot of surface agitation and releases any injected CO2. But with the end of the pump return hose below the water surface, if the pump is shut off, water will flow back down the return hose thru the pump and into the sump. Water will flow backwards until the tank level drops below the end of the return hose. If the return hose ends just below the water surface, then very little water will flow backwards. But, if your pump return output was at the very bottom of the tank, then ALL of your tank would drain backwards thru the pump. BIG FLOOD!.
You have a couple options to prevent this flood. Easiest/cheapest is just to position the pump return output just below the normal "pump on" water level. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, you can buy a check-valve that will allow water to flow from the pump to the tank, but block any backwards flow from the tank to the pump. They are available from www.**************.com and www.ThatPetPlace.com

nrage

I'm assuming you have a wet/dry style filter--if not, disregard my comments.
I have a setup that is similar with the pin-hole end. I attached it to a computer UPS, which had a sensitive breaker and the breaker tripped. The pinhole successfully prevented a flood. JUST MAKE SURE THE PINHOLE DOESN'T GET SUBMERSED!
(since, I've taken it off the UPS--it was just too sensitive and I came home twice to my equipment powered off.
If the power goes out and comes back on, my system starts back up and runs properly. if a breaker trips, you'll have to manually reset the breaker, but it should continue working.
Hope I helped.

sj022698

So, as long as there is less than 5 gallons above the top of my overflow box that sits in the water, there is no way it could overflow my sump as long as I have room for 5 gallons in my sump.
Is there any way that the pump in the sump could send the 5 gallons that is in there into the tank causing the display tank to overflow and then the pump would be sitting without water and would burn up right? Couldn't this happen if the power kicked off and the siphon on the U-Tube broke and the power came back on making the pump push all the water out of the sump but the overflow not work becuase the siphon broke? Sorry!