What can i keep

whackamole

What can i keep on a tank 36 wide and 14 high (29 gallons) if i get a compact flourescent light that puts out 196 watts.
Also would it be better to get that light or a metal halide that doesnt put out as much watts?

ophiura

You will be fine with soft corals, zoanthids, mushrooms, and many LPS corals. I have the same lighting on a 45g.

fedukeford

zoos, shrooms, ricordias, leathers, frogspawn, hammers, torches, brains, xenia, blastos, etc.
metal halide would be alot better, you choices for coral would be a lot wider

ophiura

I would say, if you want SPS, then halides. Keep in mind it is a small water volume, so it would be very difficult to have a real mix tank of SPS, LPS and softies, because the "chemical warfare" going on what be limiting, in addition to space wars.

ophiura

I really think it is easier to answer in terms of "I want to keep this, what do I need." I think you can keep a whole lot with power compacts. But if you decide that you absolutely want SPS or clams, then you need the halides.

celacanthr

Some sps, such as montipora will live under VHO or t-5. But if you want things like Tridacna crocea (clam) or acropora..then MH is a must.