What Canister Filter is Better??

halfpint72

When I first started I bought a cheap Odyssea CFS 4 off of ----. I just dont think it provides the quality I would like.
I have a 55g reef and I am trying to decide between these two,

Hagen Fluval 405 Aquarium Canister Filter 340GPH
Marineland 350 Magnum
One plus I would like is being able to easily switch out the media with out much of a headache
. Any pros and cons on these products will be a huge help... . THANKS.
and if there are any other canister filters that are better than these please let me know..
Thanks again.

frankthetank

I have a Fluval 305. They work great! Very easy to disconnect, clean out and start up again. I have never had a problem with it. It's great for running some carbon, phosphate remover, and bio max for added bio filtration. I clean mine out once a month without any problems.

team2jndd

I have used fluvals as well on my fish only tanks. Not ideal for a reef but as long as you are dilligent you will be fine.

anonome

Fluvals are like Timex......they keep on ticking. Have used them for years, and no complanints. Go bigger though, so the 405, or FX5 would be awesome.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Anonome
Fluvals are like Timex......they keep on ticking. Have used them for years, and no complanints. Go bigger though, so the 405, or FX5 would be awesome.
If your gonna do a can I agree do the 405 or the fx5. I have an fx5 on my fowlr and it works like a dream. That ends when your gonna clean them out.

big

The 350 can be a pain in the......... Sometimes noisey, hard to clean and the impelller is costly to replace when it wears out, which it will.
I have both a 350 and a Pen-Plax cascade. The 350 sits in my garage these days collecting dust......
I Love a Pen for the money, They come in 3 sizes. I have had mine over a year and it is the quietest canister I ever have had in 35 years of tanks. Also it is very easy to clean too........

lesleybird

I love the Rena Filstar canister filters. Quiet and ease to use and clean, reliable. Now I don't use canisters because I use a wet/dry but really loved the one mentioned for saltwater before I got the wet/dry. Lesley

fish4ever

I use an Ehiem Prof. 2 for my 46bow and it is absolutely quiet. Very simple with maintaining it, has a very consistant water flow.