What Clam Should I get?

X

xrobbx03

Looking to get my first clam for my tank. I know there are multiple kinds of clams. What is the best first clam that is easy to car for and will have alot of color. I was thinking a squamosa clam.

supalupa

I'm also interested in getting a clam. I heard the derasa are hardier than the crocea. I was told they help to reduce nitrates but shouldn't be introduced to a tank that has a nitrate problem. What nitrate level is too high to introduce a clam 10?

ross

Derasa are the easiest, followed by a squasmosa, then the crocea and maximas are a little bit more difficult. With your lighting your good to keep any of them, but you may be better off starting with the derasa just to get experience...plus there cheaper.

X

xrobbx03

there was a nice sized and very colorful squamosa at my LFS and it was the cheapest clam they had thats y i was leaning towards that one.

blazehok68

I Would Get A Dersea. That Is What I Get Once My 120 Is Set Up. I Think They Get The Biggest Of All Of The Clams Thats Why I Want One.

supalupa

Where do you place a Squamosa and a Derasa in the tank if you have metal halide lighting? On the sand bed?

murph145

i have a 10-12" squamosa ive only had it about 6 weeks and its already grown another 1/2"-3/4" of new shell!!!!
ill take a pic tomorroe but u can easily see the new white shell that has already formed
i have it under 2-250w 20k Helios HQI bulbs and another 260W of PC and it is as happy as can be....
i also have 2 croceas and this things is a monster compared to them and its grown more in the last 6 weeks then either of my croceas have done in the last 8 months
heres a pic of when i first got it

blazehok68

Originally Posted by murph145
i have a 10-12" squamosa ive only had it about 6 weeks and its already grown another 1/2"-3/4" of new shell!!!!
ill take a pic tomorroe but u can easily see the new white shell that has already formed
i have it under 2-250w 20k Helios HQI bulbs and another 260W of PC and it is as happy as can be....
i also have 2 croceas and this things is a monster compared to them and its grown more in the last 6 weeks then either of my croceas have done in the last 8 months
heres a pic of when i first got it
would you say maybe that its "as happy as a clam?"

X

xrobbx03

i think i am going to go with the squamosa....how much care goes into one of those?

murph145

i dont do anything special for mine other than great water and lighting i think hes happy after that
they like light so try to get as much light on them as u can

X

xrobbx03

well i would have 480 watts on my 38. I think that should be enough.

murph145

yeah id venture to say thats enough lighting lol
i only have 760 over my 180 but the MH bulbs i have are great

X

xrobbx03

Im going to be upgrading to a 65 soon which the 480 should still be enough. Tank is same length and height just the width is bigger