What clam to get

kholla12

Im looking to get a clam for my 30g with 150w mh.I want an easyer clam to start b/c it will be my first and be able to keep it on my sand bed.Which came would be a good choice.

nycbob

derasa clam will do fine on the sandbed, but u r not gonna get as nice color like crocea or maxima. if ur water parameters r good and r confident, try getting a crocea clam instead. make sure to place a flat rock below the crocea clam b4 placing it on the sandbed.

kholla12

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2556329
derasa clam will do fine on the sandbed, but u r not gonna get as nice color like crocea or maxima. if ur water parameters r good and r confident, try getting a crocea clam instead. make sure to place a flat rock below the crocea clam b4 placing it on the sandbed.
Thanks for the help could i also place a maxima on a flat pice of rock on the sb.

nycbob

yes. but what is the distance between the light and sandbed, bc crocea and maxima need more lights than derasa.

candycane

That does say 30 GALLON right, you are talking about putting a clam in a 30 GALLON tank - do I have that correct? Are you planning on going bigger later?
Croceas are the smallest of the Tridacna clams. Problem is, I SERIOUSLY doubt that a 30 GALLON will hold enough phos, nitrates or ammonia once the thing gets past 4-5 inches. What else is in this tank? You should figure where your safe levels are for chemicals right now, and then probably add more food during feedings to compensate for what the clam will need.

kholla12

http:///forum/post/2556340
yes. but what is the distance between the light and sandbed, bc crocea and maxima need more lights than derasa.
The tank is 16 in high and the light is 6 1/2 to 7 in off the suface.With a 2 in sand bed.

kholla12

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2556375
That does say 30 GALLON right, you are talking about putting a clam in a 30 GALLON tank - do I have that correct? Are you planning on going bigger later?
Croceas are the smallest of the Tridacna clams. Problem is, I SERIOUSLY doubt that a 30 GALLON will hold enough phos, nitrates or ammonia once the thing gets past 4-5 inches. What else is in this tank? You should figure where your safe levels are for chemicals right now, and then probably add more food during feedings to compensate for what the clam will need.
I only have two maroon clowns.

nycbob

it might a bit far away from the light. crocea and maxima, i wouldnt put on the sandbed if the light is that far away. it could work, but u will hv to watch it carefully. i know dersas will work for sure that far away with mh. the only drawback with derasa is they do get big eventually, but that is like 3-5 years down the road. clams do like waste in the water to eat. if u hv 2 clowns, it could be enough since they r messy eaters.

kholla12

http:///forum/post/2556413
it might a bit far away from the light. crocea and maxima, i wouldnt put on the sandbed if the light is that far away. it could work, but u will hv to watch it carefully. i know dersas will work for sure that far away with mh. the only drawback with derasa is they do get big eventually, but that is like 3-5 years down the road. clams do like waste in the water to eat. if u hv 2 clowns, it could be enough since they r messy eaters.
I was also looking to add 2 more smaller fish.

natclanwy

150w MH will enough light for any clam, but I would pass on the derasa and squamosa as they get way too big for a 30g aquarium. A crocea or maxima would be good choices and from my experience the crocea is fairly hardy mine has been through many trials over the last 3 years from high nitrates, high salinity, low salinity, moved tank 100 miles, 50deg temps, 90deg temps, and aiptasia. Not sure if I was just lucky but I think they must be fairly hardy to not succumb to at least one of these situations. Might have to set a crocea higher in the tank, you can start it on the bottom and if you notice the coloration starting to fade or getting more brown you will need to move it higher in the tank.
Clams larger than aprx 3" can maintain themselves with only photosynthesis and do not need to be fed and do not need nitrates in the water.

1journeyman

Size and water parameters (especially keeping Calc up) are going to be issues with any of the clams in a 30 gallon.
I would go with a Derasa as they like sand beds more. That said, I would suggest looking carefully into how big clams get.

viper_930

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2556375
Having "enough" (hopefully undetectable) phosphates, nitrates, and ammonia will not be a problem.

candycane

Here's the thing. Clams feed off of phos, nitrates, and ammonia right. In a smaller tank, especially algae growth can be a factor in what a clam takes in. In smaller tanks, I have seen RIDICULOUS growth rates from Derasas probably 100% of the time. If you get a 3 inch one, you should see about a 1/2 an inch to an inch of new shell every month in a tank that size. I would say Crocea is the ONLY option if you are determined to get a clam. Just keep in mind that they burrow, so when that gets to big - you will be getting rid of some live rock and the clam in the process.