What color of light??????Do you use?????

T

tattooedlife

Alot of people like half-white, half blue. What do you Use???? I use 1 blue actinic, 2 50/50's, and 1 10,000k on my 55 reef. (All soft corals, besides my Bubble Coral.)

jimos

I USE 2 55 WATT ACTITINIC(BLUE) AND 2 55 WATT WHITE POWER COMPACTS ON MY 55 GALLON REEF.
WHAT WATTAGE ARE YOU USING?

jtirone

I think I am under lighted. but my lfs said I was ok. I have two leather corals (a devil's hand and a toadstool) some yellow polyps and some other randoms that came with some rock.
I have an 18" acnic blue (15 watt) a 20" (20 watt triton, and a 20" 20 watt 10K in a 54 gallon bow front corner tank.

mr . salty

I'm running a 175watt metal halite, 1-30"6000k 50/50, 1-30"30watt wht.fl, 2-18"20,000k daylight. Not a lot of color, but plenty of light for 125gal. STEVE

reptilicus

Hi,
I have 2x400-watt 10 000K MH's, 1x150-watt 10 000K MH's, and a 40-watt actinic. They 10 000K are almost a perfect white, just a hint of blue which gives the fish a lovely shimmer. When I replace the bulbs next time I may go with 12 000K just to see what they are like, and because I like a blue sheen to my tank. However, the German 10 000K's are a beautiful colour and seem to be excellent for coral growth.
Regards,
Tom

T

tattooedlife

Originally posted by jimos:
I USE 2 55 WATT ACTITINIC(BLUE) AND 2 55 WATT WHITE POWER COMPACTS ON MY 55 GALLON REEF.
WHAT WATTAGE ARE YOU USING?

I'm running 40 watt NO's. Plan on building a new hood and adding another 10,000k. Reefs been set up for about 6 months, and every thing is thriving.(Bubble Coral, Gorgonian which has been propagated twice, brown-green polyps, and mushrooms. All doing great.)

kmr

I have a 55g reef containing mostly soft corals. I use VHO lighting, 1 URI 110 watt 50/50, and 2 URI 110 watt Atinic blues. When it's time to replace the bulbs I will trade the 50/50 for a daylight. I like the blue look and so do the fish and inverts. As you go deeper in the sea the water filters the red out of light. A mixture of 2/3 blue and 1/3 white is a good simulation of light found at 10 meters or so. Corals found deeper than would like even more blue. Also as bulbs age they produce more red color so going alittle heavy on the blue in the beginning is O.K.

t_larz

Is a 48" 7100k atinic blue and a 48" 50/50 ok for my 90 gallon tank? It is FOWLR for now but will have an anemones or two and maybe some button polyps with other invertebrates.

kmr

If those are VHO's the ballast you would get for them can run 3 or 4 48 inch 110 watt bulbs. The colors you stated would work as a start then adding more bulbs as needed. With only two bulbs on a 90g it will look very blue and not all that bright. You might want to start with 1 blue, and 1 daylight adding a 50/50 next then another blue when you want more light.

t_larz

hey guys I know that VHO is very high output which I don't have bug what is NO or HO?? Sorry, I'm still learing all this lighting stuff.

mr . salty

NO-standard fluorescent,HO-high output, VHO-very high output, Light intensity (power)is low to high in the order listed, STEVE

mr . salty

NO will not suport anything. It is designed for your viewing pleasure only. I highly reccomend you upgrade before you add anything other than fish. Even live rock wont survive under this lighting. Coralife does make a replacement bulb that will work in your hood,it's 20,000k high intensity super daylight lamp. I used two 18" in my 40gal and got good results. $25 each for 18" STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 07-09-2000).]

T

tattooedlife

Originally posted by MR . SALTY:
NO will not suport anything. It is designed for your viewing pleasure only. I highly reccomend you upgrade before you add anything other than fish. Even live rock wont survive under this lighting. Coralife does make a replacement bulb that will work in your hood,it's 20,000k high intensity super daylight lamp. I used two 18" in my 40gal and got good results. $25 each for 18" STEVE

I've been running my 55 gallon soft coral reef on NO for almost a year and every thing is doing good. Gorgonian has been propagated twice due to rapid growth. I've got 3 watts per gallon, which has my softies thriving well.

T

tattooedlife

Originally posted by MR . SALTY:

I've been running my 55 gallon soft coral reef on NO for almost a year and every thing is doing good. Gorgonian has been propagated twice due to rapid growth. I've got 3 watts per gallon, which has my softies thriving well.

t_larz

OK guys I have given wrong info. I have two 48" bulbs which are high intensity output, a 50/50 that is 6000k and blue 03, and a actinic blue that is 7100k blue 03. they are both forty watts. so... is this ok for FOWLR and some inverts?
~Lars
[This message has been edited by t_larz (edited 07-10-2000).]

mr . salty

"high intensity output" refers to the bulbs, not the ballast. The ballast is where the power comes from. For fish only you will be ok,but for anything else you should upgrade by replacing the ballast,or the bulbs. The bulbs would be cheeper.I suggest at least 10,000k bulbs,20,000k would be better,thats what I had.Maybe go with one blue and one daylight. That would probably do it. STEVE