What comes first?

robertg

When you buy a tank you mix the water and let it cycle. Do you add the Life rock or Life sand first? and how do you cure a rock?

alix2.0

live rock first. to cure it just leave it in the tank untill its done cycling after that you have to do it in a seperate container but same thing basically.

jawdubb

I thought this was going to be a chicken or egg question

I added the sand and rock and mixed the water 5 gallons at a time in buckets and added it as quickly as I could to minimize die off.
BTW the answer to the chicken/egg question is the rooster.

snakeblitz33

the chicken.
Seriously though, Generally if you go to the live fish store they are going to sell you only live rock. Make sure the rock you buy is in their coral tanks and have adequate coralline algae growth. For extra rock, buy dry base rock. Over time, base rock will become live rock.
If you don't want a sand storm in your tank, you would add your sand and rock first, then use an unwashed new towel over your tank, then pour your new freshly mixed saltwater into the towel. Make sure that the towel has never been washed with any chemicals.
Throw in a tiny piece of shrimp tail, and wait for it to decay while the bacteria is building up. Once this is done, you need to test your water with a testkit to see if your parameters are reading:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:~0
pH: ~8.2
Make sure you have the proper equipment for the job. The more water flow in your tank, the better off it will be. Make sure you have budgeted for an adequate protein skimmer and filter and be prepared to do water changes with time.
Word of warning: Research your animals before you buy them. This will save you a ton of money, Trust us! By the way, this hobby is very addicting. :D

mr_x

i would buy live rock from the LFS and toss it in first. cure it..then vacuum up the junk that will fall off of it, then add the live sand.
i would not bother asking the LFS if they could take rock from their corals tanks because all the LFS's around here would most likely laugh at me for asking.
with good water parameters, coralline will grow on the rock soon enough. it's not important to buy coralline covered rock. 1 little piece of coralline will spread to the entire tank faster than you think.
if you are purchasing rock for your tank, you also don't need to throw in decaying matter, because there is plenty of decaying matter in your uncured rock already.