What could cause a Coral Beauty Angel...

vpotts28

What could cause a Coral Beauty Angel to be fine one minute, and the other minute just lying on its side struggling to breath. Last night I checked the tank and everything was fine including the Angel. It was swimming around like nothing was wrong. I went to the store, came back, and proceeded to feed the tank, but the Angel wasn't anywhere to be found. I looked in its normal hiding spot, and there it was lying on its side, breathing heavy. I disassembled the rock work around it to get a closer look. There isn't any sign of disease, it wasn't around any equipment, it looked healthy before I found it. All water parameters are fine.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH 8.2
The emerald crab was in the vacinity of the Angel. There didn't appear to be any wounds. I put him in the QT because I couldn't get an answer last night. He was still kicking around this morning, but he is trying to swim on his side, he isn't upright.

berntup

Same Thing except I had just purchased a Baby Blue Hypo Tang. It was in the tank for 2 nights and the next morning I couldn't find it. Also, My coral Beauty was lying next to a rock dead. All the other 4 fish (clown, 2 damsels, Bi-color Angel) in the tank are doing fine. My thoughts were that the Coral Beauty ate the Blue Tang and then died? What are your thoughts?
-Brent

renogaw

is it puffy? sorta like bloated? not swimming right side up is a good indication of a swim bladder problem.
and no brent, your hippo didn't get eaten by the coral beauty. you mixed two angels in a tank, and since thats a nono i'd bet your bicolor beat up the CB to death. the hippo probably just died for some other reasons and probably got eaten by your clean up crew. this is why quarantine tanks are a must.

berntup

I don't think thar that is the case because the coral beauty did not have any scars on it. Also, the CB and the BiColor had been in the tank together for a couple of months without any problems. The BiColor is also a lot smaller than the CB. Plus, I really don't have much of a cleanup crew. Any other thoughts?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Berntup
I don't think thar that is the case because the coral beauty did not have any scars on it. Also, the CB and the BiColor had been in the tank together for a couple of months without any problems. The BiColor is also a lot smaller than the CB. Plus, I really don't have much of a cleanup crew. Any other thoughts?
The CB would not have eaten the hippo. If you bought a "baby" hippo, under 2" they have a smaller survivability rate than larger hippos. What sized tank is this. Could you please start your own thread? We will answer all of your questions, but this thread was started by someone else who would like his own questions answered. Thank you