what could have happened???? :-(

crazyaqua

Yeah i am thinking it was the live rock either die off or it wasnt cured enough prob cause a spike if the rock has only been in your tank for a week i would wait a couple weeks before adding anything else. To bad about your yellow tang and clown two of my favorite fish
O i wouldnt worry about knocking any of the dead stuff off just let it settle and test later

sw65galma

Another possibility...what's your tank temp....heaters can go bizzerk and kill everything fry themselves and cool back down to semi normal buy the time u get up..

bailey52

Yea I deff agree it was prob the LR... Even cured LR, when you add it to a tank will have a little die off and cause ammonia... thats why in established tanks if you want to add LR you need to do it a little at a time not all at once...

ophiura

Originally Posted by brrlong
wow heaters go crazy? lol mine is like 80 i think? ill have to double check that? is that tooo hot?
No, that is perfectly fine. I run mine 82 degrees easy, Bang Guy used to run his at 86. These temperatures are not abnormal for some Indo Pacific reefs. Temperature spikes due to heater failure can occur and cause significant damage...if not immediately, then usually about 2-3 days after the fact (often resulting in an ick outbreak as the fish are stressed).