What could I keep with....

reeferdude

Either 2.8 watts per gallon? I want to do a nano in my bathroom 10 gallon but all the lights are 24" and the tank is only 20". I found a 28 watt 20" fixture but didnt know what all I could keep with that little light.

justinx

THere are definitely other options out there. You can get a 96w power quad, there are also 20" PC bulbs out there. But either way, at 2.8w (as little as I like this "guide") you could get away with some shrooms, and some zoo's. Thats probably about it. Maybe some yellow polyps, but you are really limited. I would try getting some more light over the tank.

sagxman

Okay, it doesn't look pretty but a former roommate of mine uses 24" lights on his 10 gal. They hang over on the sides a little, and somehow he is able to keep the temp. down. I just gave him my old 24" hood with a custom sealife retrofit 96w smartlamp. So far so good for him.

justinx

It all depends on how you used it. BUT I would probably go with a 150 and that alone. They are more readily available and cheaper than the 70w Halides.
You could do a pendant, which IMO look the best.
You could get a micro chiller which are not too terribly expensive. They mount on the side of your tank.
You could build your canopy as an open style with the top slatted instead of solid and the back open.
You could install some fans into the canopy, but this would really accelerate the evaporation, and I dont think that this would be the best idea for such a small tank.
I am in the planning stages of a 7 gallon nano with a 150w halide as we speak. I just have to find where I put all my money:p